Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
Seems like we've had several threads lately regarding Nawlins (New Orleans for you non-Southerners). Aside from the smell of urine in the streets, strippers waving from doorways, and excellent cajun food, my best memories of NOLA are of the National D-Day Museum. Have any of you visited it? If not, put it on your bucket list.
I visited it about two weeks before the Big Hurricane. I happened to be wearing an Army Ranger shirt the day I was there, and an elderly volunteer, named Patrick Duffy, gave my wife and I a four hour personal tour. Wow. What a guy.
Mr. Duffy was a survivor of D-Day. He showed me a photo on the wall of him and his squad hoisting steins of beer at a Mom & Pop owned pub in Normandy. The photo had been taken after they won the beach and made their way inland.
As he was reliving the story, he reached into his wallet and pulled out a photo of a bunch of white haired gentlemen lifting their glasses of ale outside the same pub, along with a young couple. He said that the guys in his squad who were still alive visited Normandy a few years ago. They went to that same pub, and found that the grandchildren of the original owners had taken over the pub.
Here's to the brave men and women who selflessly took that beach so many years ago!
I hope Mr. Duffy survived the hurricane. Go visit the museum if you're in NOLA. You won't be disappointed.

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
I absolutely love the D-Day museum. I've been 3 times. Being a local its easy for me to get over there. I also highly recommend visiting for those who have any interest in WW2. Having been 3 times there are things that I still havent checked out. Definitely an awesome experience that takes you back in time. I'll be back!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I too was impressed with the D-Day Museum. We'll have my 94 year old father with us in June and we're definitely taking him to the museum. (He is retired Army, 33 years, survived WWII, Korea and Vietnam, all infantry, 1st Inf). He's legally blind, but we hope he can still get a feel for the displays.
I thought the Katrina Museum was also pretty interesting.
My best memories are from the grits (I thought I hated grits until I had them in New Orleans) and the delicious oysters.

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
ssjones wrote:
We'll have my 94 year old father with us in June and we're definitely taking him to the museum. (He is retired Army, 33 years, survived WWII, Korea and Vietnam, all infantry, 1st Inf).
Wow. That is amazing! I'd love to shake his hand.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
The National D Day Museum was greatly expanded in 08 to include films in 3-HD as well as more exhibits.
Most of the landing craft that ferried the Army to the beaches on D Day were built in New Orleans because of the areas expertise with shallow running craft. Landing craft for the Marines & Army for the Pacific campaign were also built there.
Be careful, pissing on Bourbon St will land one in jail. It is a real problem with the tourist, they walk up and down Bourbon St and act like they've never had a drink.
Hey Al, Shrimp & Grits are da bomb!

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
Don't worry, Saint...my mama raised me well enough to know that you don't piss in the street. But, I'd be lying if I said that place didn't smell like it. What a stench!

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
The heat and humidity doesn't help. It's mostly college age kids. After they get locked up and fined $500. hopefully they won't come back until they act like adults.
They have absolutely ruined Mardi Gras in the French Quarter. It used to be a costumed celebration for adults. They have turned it into one huge "show me your tits". That's another $500 but it doesn't stop the college kids that drive into town from southern colleges.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a nice rack just as much as any red-blooded male. But, it has gotten out of hand in the Quarter.

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
^ That's too bad. There's a lot of history there, and at the right time of year, it can really be a wonderful place to visit. It's not like any other place in the U.S.
I've never been into crowds, so the whole Mardi Gras experience is something I've never sought out. I'm happy attending small Mardi Gras parties here, eating good Cajun food with friends, having King's cake, and having a few drinks.
I have watched some of the Cops shows where they have to deal with the idiots on Bourbon Street during Mardi Gras. What a nightmare.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I just love the place. I always visit the St Jude Shrine and eat at Acme Oyster or Napoleons House. The 1200 block can be a bit of an eye opener as well!

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I like to go in the winter when it is cooler and just wonder to where the music takes me .But it does reek of 130 years of drunken misbehavior .

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I've got a week-long trip booked for September. I have never been but looking forward to it-- just a vacation. Will definitely check out the D-day museum. Staying in the French Q, any other thoughts??

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
It's one of my favourite museums. I've been at least 3 times since I moved to NOLA last fall for school. One of my ROTC buddies used to volunteer there so he makes a pretty decent tour guide. The final room about the atom bomb always gets to me...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I heard an author on a book of the history for Bourbon Street. He said it didn't evolve into a party place until the period between WWI and WWII. Prior to that, it was primarily residential.
I recommend the College Inn and the Rock & Bowl near Tulane.
Jacques-Imos on Oak Street is also a favorite restaurant in an interesting section of town.
http://jacques-imos.com/

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
Or,
Parkview Tavern & Bakery for the best Roast Beef Po-Boy sandwich in the city.

Mandinas on Canal for exceptional Italian cuisine.

Camellia Grill for breakfast.

Drago's for grilled oysters on the half shell
too many great places to eat and not enough time!

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Check out Three Muses on Frenchman Street. Local music acts do 45-60 minute sets, one drink minimum per set, which is not a terrible hardship - their Sazerac (with house-made orange bitters) is excellent. The food is fantastic small-plate stuff. My wife and I wandered by, got on the wait list for a table, stopped back at the end of the current set, and got right in. Stayed for a couple of sets, and then continued our evening. Highly recommended.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The wedding rehearsal dinner is at Parkview, that should be fun.
Thanks for the Drago's tip (where are they?). My daughter doesn't enjoy oysters, so that's not on her radar.
We usually stay in Kenner. "Harbor Seafood" is a little dive bar, the oysters were incredible ($7/dozen...)
My daughter was excited about "Copelands", but I wasn't too impressed (over-hyped Appleby's).
And I'll definitely be enjoying a few "Sazerac" cocktails!

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
+1 on Rock'n'Bowl. That place is awesome if you're in the mood to dance to some crazy Zydeco music.
If you are at all interested in antiques and famous paintings I suggest checking out M.S. Rau on Royal Street in the Quarter. They have a secret gallery that houses a number of Van Goughs, Monets, and the like. All of them are for sale too, if you're in the mood to drop a few million dollars on a painting :lol:
Here's the website: http://www.rauantiques.com/
Also the best B&M in town is Mayan Imports located on Magazine St across from Sucré (one of the best dessert places I've ever eaten at). They've got a massive walk-in humidor filled with cigars along with a good number of Peterson pipes and bulk tobacco. Their selection in tinned tobacco is limited but it gets me by.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Thanks for all the great and timely tips, as we are going very soon to a wedding at the Our Lady of the Lake Church in Mandeville, with reception to follow at the Lake House. We are going with young kids, and I understand there is quite an excellent zoo in New Orleans that they would like to go to. As for B&Ms, I hear that Jewel's Cigar and Briar shop in Covington is a diamond in the rough.
We did the whole Mardi Gras / Bourbon St. thing a while ago, and at the time it seemed fun and interesting, but not worth a second experience, IMO.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
Al, Dragos has two locations. In the Hilton on the river downtown and the original location in Metairie. Make sure you have reservations. http://www.dragosrestaurant.com/
I highly recommend to all a sloppy roast beef po-boy sandwich from Parkway Bakery & Tavern. No reservation need and the wait in line shouldn't be that long. http://www.parkwaypoorboys.com/
Casamento's on Magazine St is open from October through April. Oyster on half shell or fried in a sandwich is a real food experience. http://www.casamentosrestaurant.com/main/main.html
So many great places to eat, restaurants like no others! Stay away from the chains like Copelands.
Yes, if with kids go to the Audubon Zoo, it is world class!

Status
Not open for further replies.