PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
If I like Black Frigate - should I try Navy Flakes? Or are they not that similar? I don't normally like flavored blends, so BF is an unusual thing for me

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
G l Pease's Sextant should satisfy you. Navy Flakes in general are an entirely different animal. :wink:

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I like Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake. It's what I imagine Escudo would taste like if Escudo had any flavor.

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
If you are a Latakia fan, and want to try navy flakes; you should try Samuel Gawith Navy Flake. It is a navy with a hint of Latakia.

One of my favorites. Highly recommended.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Navy flakes are delicious. P.S. and Newminster are great bargains too. I recently purchased 5 lbs of Newminster 400 because it's dirt cheap, ages fantastic, tastes great fresh and rubs out easily. P.S. definitely tastes like Escudo should, but I like Escudo with age on it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sextant is a very close flavor match to Black Frigate.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/black-frigate-and-sextant-separated-at-birth

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
What is the "S" in "SNF" Embers? Can't quite figure out that one.
BTW. Congrats! You just hit an even 4K posts!

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I met some flakes in the Navy once... when my Marine son was stationed at Norfolk. They were a happy bunch, all in the Navy Band there.(I am a civilian bandsman as well.)

Status
Not open for further replies.