PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carmell269

Lurker
Dec 28, 2014
Central Iowa
Greetings All. New member here in Southern California and new to pipe smoking. A little history for me and my experience with tobacco is not much to be told. An occasional cigar, very few and far between, thats about it.
So far, Ive been at it for about 2 weeks and absolutely love it. Ive purchased a few wonderful briars (Neerup, Randy Wiley, Luciano) and am finally getting the hang of packing them (Frank method seems to work well for me). My first tobacco was a local B&M house blend aromatic which I quickly decided was not going to work to my liking, I didn't like the taste and bite. From there I have had the wonderful experience of Frog Morton Cellar, and have been smoking it every day since my first bowl of the aromatic that I ditched. Last night I smoked a couple bowls of McClelland's Grey Haven, again with much delight and satisfaction. I have ordered some additional FM versions, Original and On the Bayou.
Today I smoked my first bowl of Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake. At first it was a great experience, from the rubbing out method to enjoying the great taste of the first half of the bowl. I was trying to pay attention to my cadence and keep the sipping at a slow pace but as time wore on, I got to feeling pretty green. Sweating and nausea led me to the bathroom where luckily I managed to keep my stomach intact, but I felt like crap for nearly an hour. So, I guess this was my first experience with a nic overload. I can say I hope it doesn't happen again (who enjoys a good upchuck?), and I will probably lay off the SG for now and go back to FMC.
Im in no way discouraged by the temporary illness, and will look forward to my next smoke, but I wanted to share my experience with the other new members and hopefully help someone avoid the nicotine surprise.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Latakia blends seem to have less nic than the other blends. Others may have some other recommendations.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
carmell269:
Your symptoms seem to describe a classic case of nicotine poisoning, and mirror those which I experienced the first time I smoked Dunhill's Nightcap. I find that such high-test blends are best enjoyed on a full stomach.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
Yes full stomach and maybe a smaller size bowl on the high nic blends.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
@carmell269 you are a giving individual sharing this story with us all. Rest assured your mishaps will be well received here. Thanks for sharing and keep persevering.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Welcome to the site, and it's great to hear that you aren't discouraged by the nic experience. Over time you might tolerate it more. Great choice in blend by they way. I love FMC. You will probably like Seatle Pipe Clubs Mississippi River as well if you like FMC.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Yep spent an hour in a hot shower after a good long smoke of Royal Yatch. Which I then gave to a friend in my local pipe club. We all run into it from time to time with blends. Chin up and keeps puffing.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Even the most seasoned smoker will get a little green from time to time when smoking the right blend at the right moment. I always found a soda to do a good job at reversing the effects. A full sugar soda like a root beer or Dr. Pepper does the trick for me.

carmell269

Lurker
Dec 28, 2014
Central Iowa
Thank you all for the vote of confidence and warm welcome. Definitely one of the nicest forum groups Ive had the pleasure of joining. Great tips on prevention too, seems like I will eventually develop a higher tolerance to the nicotine as time goes on, but some good preventative measures to use meanwhile. Thank you all for the input, I appreciate it !

morton

May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
When I first started messing with high nic blends, I found that sipping sweetened OJ or sweet iced tea tended to keep me upright but even then, it sometimes got the better of me. Now, after quite a few years, like trailboss, I'm pretty much immune. Keep puffing and enjoying, it just gets better and better!

cajunrph

Lurker
Dec 5, 2014
I'm like the OP, an occasional cigar, no cigarettes. I smoked pipes before off and on. I bought some Dunhill Nightcap thinking it would be a nice relaxing smoke. Nope, it's loaded with with nicotine and I got light headed and a queasy stomach. I felt like the first and only time I dipped Skoal. I was puffing like a freight train on the Nightcap to keep it from going out so I'm sure that attributed some to my green gills as well. I'll try it again, but will smoke it slower. Keep on smoking and you'll develop a tolerances to the nicotine.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Never got a huge nic hit from a pipe, but love maduro cigars, and have had a couple of those really knock me down. I agree with the full stomach comment. Really helps.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
+1 msandoval858
Fully leaded pop, especially colas, will settle your stomach when dealing with a nicotine overload.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
, but love maduro cigars, and have had a couple of those really knock me down

Been there.
I do like strong tobacco though. University Flake, Solani Aged Burley Flake, etc. Dinner before and a nap after.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
Thank you all for the vote of confidence and warm welcome
Carmell we are all in good company.
Our dining facility here overseas has a great chocolate swirl bread/cake thing they offer and I found myself craving a slice after a deep bowl and good nicotine kick. It has come to be a satisfying finish to a great smoke.
After reading the submissions here I am intrigued by my truly natural draw to sweets after a pleasant smoke

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
car', welcome to Forums. I'd say, the majority of blends don't have much noticeable nicotine, so you have

to be alert to those that do. My worst experience was when I was very young, and my buddy filched Camels,

put them in his Radio Flyer wagon and we'd go down to the lot where they were building a house, sit in the

bushes, and smoke Camels. I'd get home by supper time and be green as a pea. I don't look for a nic buzz,

but when it occurs, it can be pleasant if mild. Just get to know a blend before you go for a full bowl, and smoke

new blends, especially non-aromatics tentatively (partial or small, or very small bowl, and slow cadence, plus

an intermission to stand up and see how you're doing). A full stomach and some liquid, as mentioned, is also

good. A few higher nic tobaccos are Nightcap, Royal Yacht, Five Brothers, and rope tobacco in general, all of

which you want to avoid for a few years while you learn to enjoy pipe smoking. Check online for tobacco

strength; for now, avoid full strength.

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
People sure have different likes. I hear so many people talking up the Frog, but to me its as close to pond scum as I want to get! :lol:
I have had the light head myself, I don't smoke much at all, so I am hoping I never really build up a tolerance. :)

acutabovebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 18, 2013
Patras - Greece
I have been smoking cigars since 1995 and I like strong full bodied full strength Nicaraguans? I thought of the pipe been lighter on the vitamin N field but I think it has to do with the way nicotine is been delivered to your system through saliva rather than its actual percentage. Anything sweet will help with this. My safety net is a snickers bar or during summer sweet ice tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.