PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

klause

A little while ago I was browsing the forums and came across a thread, after reading which I had pause for thought, to the point I had to go off and think for a bit. Then, after thinking, re-reading, looking, absorbing, contemplating, reading again, pondering the pictures, I sent the author a message. The thread that got me all bothered was:
Natural Tomato Number 9.
So I wrote to Clickklick asking him if he'd consider either selling Number 9, or, if not, making me a one similar. Well, Number 9 was going to be his personal pipe, but we had a brief, and very productive conversation. Adam was completely honest about where he is at with his pipe making and his opinion of his abilities; I appreciated this, and his candid honesty convinced me, even more that I wanted him to make me a pipe.
I think he has a flair and talent that can only develop and grow, and his enthusiasm is infectious. I knew I was going to get something special - I was aware that there may be a minor flaw here and there, but, so what? I have very early examples of the work of some very highly regarded carvers, which probably would not bear up to close scrutiny, certainly not in comparison to their later work. But, isn't that always the case with artists and craftsmen/women? They have to start somewhere, and, unless they were born with their art perfected, they have to learn, grow, develop, fail, rise-up, try again, improve and ultimately succeed, becoming masters of their art.
And, to cap it all, Adam is a really good fellow - easy to talk to, work with and chat to - a real pleasure. So, I was glad I contacted him and made his acquaintance. But, I was even more delighted when he agreed to make and sell me pipe Number 10. The brief? A natural tomato, along the lines of Number 9, but as he wanted. My only stipulation was that it was unstained.
Adam, said it may be a few weeks before he would have anything to show me as he is generally very busy just now. No worries - I was in no hurry - I've waited over a year for a pipe to be completed before now, so I could wait - whenever the muse kicked in and he had the time to answer the call.
So, imagine my surprise when a couple of days later I got an email showing a lump of wood, and a lump of plastic, which had been transformed into a beautiful pipe that just had the final stages of finishing to go. I was staggered. I wrote:
".....I woke, checked my mail, saw something from a name I didn't recognise, opened it and my jaw dropped - WOW! And, again, WOW! Adam, that is fantastic, absolutely fantastic. I'm grinning from ear to ear - showed it to my wife, and she thinks it's absolutely gorgeous already :). I wasn't expecting you to have even begun thinking about it yet, so to be is far in is amazing...."
And, there I left it thinking that it would be a while before more progress was made. But, not for the first time, I was wrong. A day or two later I received the pictures and I was ecstatic - you can see them here:
Natural Tomato Commission Number 10
Then I looked again and compared it to the pics of Number 9 and I noticed the differences, and, most importantly, the development. The bowl to shank transition; the improved shaping of the bowl; the flare of the shank and the strange stem shaping - I looked, and I pondered, and I was blown away. Huge development in one pipe - a gorgeous pipe. I could see the risks, Adam took with this, and I was appreciative. This was my pipe - made for me - by a great fellow - a fellow beginning his journey as a carver - I was his first customer and his first sale - a very special pipe. Now, I had to wait - and this was the hardest part, as I knew what I was getting and was super excited.
Well, it arrived, wrapped in a gorgeous handmade leather bag (very neat touch, Adam - and very much appreciated), and, even though I'd seen pictures, I was utterly stunned.
It is no word of a lie when I say that the pictures actually bear no relation to how gorgeous this pipe is - how beautifully shaped and finished this pipe is, or how gorgeous the grain is. It is utter perfection - that shank stem combo, which sometimes can look awkward in the pictures, is quite simply superb. It really works and is in perfect balance with the bowl. The stem/shank transition is sublime - I've run my fingers all over it and I cannot feel the transition from acrylic to wood - it is perfect. I have some expensive pipes by well know carvers that don't match up to this - seriously. This pipe is balanced, physically, and aesthetically - to me, at least, and that's what matters most here.
If you look closely at the pictures in Adam's thread you'll notice, if you look carefully, that the airway is just ever-so-slightly off centre. This is not an issue for me. I know some people really get their knickers in a twist over this, and I imagine them taking a micrometer to the pipe to see exactly how out it is - but that's not me. In the flesh I have to look really carefully to see this 'flaw'. The photos really exaggerate this. I have some very old, and some very modern, pipes, of all grades, where the airway is way off - and in days gone by it was never an issue. They all smoke wonderfully, and that surely is the real test! Anyway, once the bowl is blackened it will not be noticeable.
In the hand this pipe just feels perfect - it sits comfortably between thumb and index, resting gently on middle, finger. It is light and supremely elegant. The more I touch and look at this pipe, the more I appreciate it - the more I adore it - not just because it was made for me, but because it is such a wonderful creation. I've shown it to people, and they all think it's gorgeous - and they usually dismiss my BBBs, Celius, Tarps, Dunhill's, etc, as ugly, smelly, horrible old pipes!!! But this one, they all want to hold, look carefully at, and run their fingers over.
The main purpose of a pipe is to smoke tobacco, not just be pretty, or technically perfect. And, this does not disappoint - NOT A BIT. The button is very comfortable, and the draw is wide open and smooth - smoke moves gently and wistfully when sipped, or flows densely if drawn deeply - cool and dry.
I sat and immersed myself in this wonderful creation and the last of my vintage Bulwark flake - a fitting tobacco for this pipe. A sublime tobacco for a stunning pipe; and it really shines I this pipe, as much as when I first fell in love with this fine old blend, which surprised me.
This is a flake pipe, for sure. But, more than that, it is a thing of absolute beauty - the product of the hands, heart and soul of a fellow who loves, and is passionate about, what he does - touch this pipe, look at this pipe and it is obvious - there is a vibrancy about this pipe, an energy, a positivity, that makes the fingertips tingle.
I'm looking at this pipe and I'm smiling broadly. I am delighted I asked Adam to make me this pipe. I know he was a little nervous about taking the challenge on, but he rose to the challenge magnificently - I could not be happier.
So, Adam - Thank You. I really appreciate what you have done for, and given, me with this pipe. Thank you, most sincerely - it is magnificent, and I really cannot find the words to do justice to your work. What I can say is that, if anyone is thinking of asking Adam to make 'em a pipe, go for it - you will not be disappointed. I am on cloud nine!!
Adam, you have a talent and passion that is admirable, and your work will get better and better. I have absolutely no doubts. When you get the sandblasting equipment let me know - I'd like a blasted version of this pipe to make a companion set.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Kudos to you for supporting this talented carver. His work is extremely well done and unique at the same time, so early in his career. If I didn't have an unreasonable number of pipes already ....

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Clickklick, is producing some beautiful pipes and I believe you are right about the early works of artist as they progress, Klaus. To me these would be more valuable than the ones they make in their mature period as an artist. To have both would be great, but the early works are priceless when the artist have reached a point where almost everything they make is a #10. Great pieces of history to be cherished by those who had the foresight and spent the funds and time to invest in them.

Congratulations to both of you!

K

klause

Cheers for the comments, gentlemen - much appreciated.
The more I sit with, and smoke this pipe, the more I am enamoured with it - it is a really superb piece of work, and a sheer joy to smoke.
Okie, you hit the nail firmly, and squarely, on the head ;-)

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Your words are too kind! It was an absolute privilege to make it for you. I thank you so much for the words of encouragement and will gladly make you a blast once I'm set up for it!

K

klause

I've spent a year with this pipe, and it has been time well spent - I've watched the seasons change in it's company, sipping tea in the greenhouse, wrapped in soft comforting smoke.
It is a wonderful companion, and constant pleasure to me. It has improved beyond measure - which is something that never ceases to amaze me considering how impressed I was first time I held and smoked it.
I'm blessed to have it in my collection - it is a treasured possession.
Thanks, Adam - your efforts continue to be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.