PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I've been looking to have a commission done, a pipe inspired by my astrophotography hardware. Obviously, considering his use of metal and his steampunk designs, he seems the ideal guy to do this. I've sent him this photo and asked for his thoughts. Anybody know him or have an experienced dealing with him?

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
If anyone can pull off that pipe, it's Nate King. I'm very familiar with his work and it's top notch.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
His pipes are unique to say the least as is his background. These two pipes sold me on his ability and aesthetic senses. His use of metal is what I need in what I have in mind. He is a pipe smoker and his pipes are all smokable.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Nate King is the real deal. A great carver and a pleasure to work with. He's out of Indianapolis but occasionally goes over to Smoker's Haven to work with Premal Chheda's crew.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Before you decide. Check out Stephen Downie.
His work would also be right up your alley. He's been making pipes since 2004 I believe. I have 6 and can vouch for him!

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
King, Downie and Uwe Maier would be my short list for such a pipe but never commissioned any of the three. Good luck, I bet this will be a cool pipe and I look forward to seeing the results.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I run into Nate at almost every show- in addition to being a hell of a nice guy- he makes some very nice pipes...His machinist background helps a lot in the pipemaking world...

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Should prove to be very interesting to say the least. I can't even begin to imagine what shape a pipe would take on that is inspired after a telescope with a spotting scope!
I'm in the process of setting up the very same type of motor for sanding/shaping and VFD combination that he uses for making some pipes of my own.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Peck, Of course you do! I feel as though I should've been able to guess that. It's a STUNNING pipe!! Is it tight as in no rattling or shifting of the metal. Ever speak with him? Wondering less about his work, more about the man.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
P
hil, spotting scope?!?! Please tell me you jest!
Back in the late 60's I had an 8" reflector scope with a mirror that I ground myself. Other than that I'm not all that much up on them anymore and I only assumed that the scope mounted on top was a spotting scope, albeit it seemed rather odd as it's almost as big as the scope it's mounted on.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Phil, It's for dual imaging to gather more data over the same amount of time. That telescope took this photo using a CCD camera. Sorry I took offense as I've spent FAR more money on it than anything else in my life ;)

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
nemo.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yep, my bet would be Nate King or Downie. I met King at the Richmond show last year and was able to closely examine a number of his pipes. The build quality is first rate and he is a very interesting guy (I'm a fan of open-wheel racing). I bet either would love to tackle your challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.