PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackdog7

Lurker
Aug 20, 2012
I recently had a buddy of mine tell me of this special blend that a friend of his recently got from Nat Shermans. The blend is the only thing his friend will smoke. Since I fairly new to the pipe smoking world I really don't know much about Nat Shermans so I asked him if he could get me a little to try. When I tried it I was expecting something special but something was very familiar with it. It is the same stuff as the bulk 1Q that I have. I don't have the heart to break it to him that its not such a special blend after all.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Odd, I'd never heard of Nat producing pipe tobacco. I enjoy their cigarettes when I do smoke the occassional coffin nail, I'll have to look into it.

blackdog7

Lurker
Aug 20, 2012
Thanks for the suggestion rothnh I'll give it a try. As far as Nat Shermans not producing pipe tabacco I only know what I was told, I'm kind of new to all this so I really don't know much about who might make what. There is a lot of information about this sport of pipe smoking that I have to learn :)

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
NatS has been doing pipe tobacco a long time, but they seem to have retreated in the last few years. My favorite is No.536, Empire English. Tins of this started disappearing several years ago, and now even the aros have dwindled away. I also see that NS no longer shows their fine array of pipe tobaccos on their website, so now I would have to go to NYC to procure them.
hp

les

briarfriar

Can't Leave
The New York Pipe Club held its belated International Pipe Smoking Day celebration this afternoon in Nat Sherman's beautiful store on 42nd Street in Manhattan, and had the pleasure of being hosted by Mr. Christopher McGrath, who now heads up the company's pipe tobacco commerce.
He told me that as of yesterday Nat Sherman's pipe mixtures are back on the market. Being made now by Lane, they may not be exactly precisely identical to what you might remember, but they are back. In addition, there is a new mixture named 702 Dragoon that I sampled. A rich latakia blend with a healthy serving of perique. Very nice, indeed.
It was a terrific three-hour gathering of a few dozen club members assembled in the very comfortable Johnson Club room. Get there if you can. (The elevator, by default, surely is the only elevator in the city where smoking is permitted!)
Anyway, if anyone has any questions about the new Nat Sherman tobaccos, I'm sure Mr. McGrath would welcome an e-mail:
cmcgrath(at)natsherman.com
Jay

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
And updating my post a year ago, I see in Smokingpipes' latest update that several of those Nat Sherman tins are back on the market. Yum, and quite good news.
hp

les

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
i bought some Nat Sherman 536 in Manhattan about a year ago. I don't know how their blends by Lane will be,

but I like Lane blends. The Nat Sherman 536 is/was really elegant, not quite like anything else.

christogie

Lurker
Dec 23, 2013
Hey guys, this is Chris from Nat Sherman.
Right now we're in the process of introducing new custom blends for the shop. As Jay mentioned before, Dragoon is the first of these blends. It's a full bodied English mixture containing Latakia, Turkish Izmir, Red Virginias and a generous amount of St. James Perique. Our next mixture is going to be called Wayfarer, and will be a VA/Per that we'll be debuting soon.
We've also expanded our pipe tobacco selections to include McClelland, GL Pease, Samuel Gawith, the mighty Escudo, and Esoterica when we can get our hands on their tobaccos. Our pipe selection has expanded as well, we're carrying Luigi Viprati, Rinaldo, Ardor, Mastro Beraldi, Castello, Dunhill, Radice, Meerschaums and more.
With that said, we're looking for support from the pipe smoking community, so if you guys have any specific blends you're interested in, pipe manufacturers, anything that you can possibly think of, please contact me, and I'll see what we can do for you.
Here's my contact info if you guys want more info on what we're doing or if you're interested in purchasing from us. Cheers!
cmcgrath@natsherman.com

1-800-MYCIGAR

www.natsherman.com

Christopher McGrath

Status
Not open for further replies.