PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I had heard about this famous blend for a long time but had never tried it as it was only available at the Nat Sherman store in Manhattan. Then, a little while ago, it was announced that it would be available in tins, and SP started to carry it. I picked up a few tins to try it.
It is a light to medium English where the Latakia is well in the background. It has some nice sweetness to it with some oriental tang. There is also a bit of nuttiness which I presume is from a burley component. I thought it was a very pleasant smoke that is kind of a cross between EMP and 965 in some respects.
Has anyone else tried it?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nat Sherman 536 is one of my favorites. I picked it up from the Manhattan shop and was prepared to phone them for some

more, but now I see that SP has it in tins. I think it is about the most elegant and refined English blend I've smoked. I really

like MM 965 and Nightcap, and think they have a lot of edge, strength and complexity. But 536 is so interesting and just

keeps delivering all the way down the bowl. I think it is excellent.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
One of my favorites as well. I stop by Nat's every couple of months for more. It is a very well-rounded blend, very refined as mso so aptly put it.
I did purchase a tin from P&C back in April and opened it about 2 weeks ago. The tinned version seems wetter than what I get from the shop, so I recommend a little drying. Otherwise, it is the same blend, as far as I can tell, and it is good to see this terrific blend available more widely.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To put it differently, if what you crave is a Lat bomb, this isn't it. But if you have enjoyed a range of English blends

in the past, and appreciate a lot of subtlety and nuance in a tobacco, this one is definitely worth trying and could

become one of your favorites. I'm not sure I would recommend this to a brand new pipe smoker. I think most of

us need some time to tune our tastes and acquire an appreciation for complexity. But if you are an experienced

smoker who doesn't need a Latakia forward blend, Nat Sherman 536 delivers a unique experience.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
You had me at the Dunhill comparisons! I have always wanted to try 536 but don't live anywhere near Manhattan. Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to try put on my next order!

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
It's one of my favorites, and what I was smoking while I did my video interview at Nat Sherman's in 2009.
You can find it in the sticky post with the video library listed.
They gave me a sample to smoke, and I ended up buying a pound.

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
I stopped at Nat Sherman's a few months ago and got a 2oz sample of this. They had it named "Empire English" along with the number. I do like it and it is certainly not the lat bomb I have been getting accustomed to lately. I find it is a good tobacco for my novice tastes to really notice the difference between an english and some of the more heavily oriental blends (Frog Mortons are what i'm thinking).

Status
Not open for further replies.