PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Nat Sherman just retired 6 (possibly more) of their blends :( Among them the VaPer flake that I'd grown quite fond of. All the money is in the cigs and cigars.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
They still sell a few baccys. Their ordering process is kind of goofy, requirng a phone conversation and scanning/emailing in a copy of your ID on the first order. That's probably what killed the interest, sice you can go onto other sites and they go more or less by the "honor system" and the fact that you have access to a credit card. I really like their "Riverside Whiskey". Can't stand their ordering process.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
baron - re Nat's goofy ordering process, do you know if I could get into their system if I signed up in person? I've always wanted to visit their NYC store and I've driven by one of their locations near Fort Lee NJ. In the past, I've gotten the 536 from local B&Ms or from an ETailer, but I don't see it listed anymore.
hp

les

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Ah, #536 is the "Empire English". I believe they still have it at the midtown shop. I'll be hitting them this week, and could double-check on that for you.

And les, do stop in to the Manhattan shop--it's a bit of old-world charm.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
They mentioned on their sit that the best way to deal was by phone. Maybe if you stop by they'll take a mugshot for future reference.

Dec 24, 2012
I was just smoking a bowl of Nat Sherman 536 and quite love it. It doesn't get much press, but this is one smooth English blend.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/nat-sherman/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=143011
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2219/nat-sherman-536-empire-english

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Appears to be available here. I found this blend yesterday when ordering that great cigar deal I found out through our forum. Almost picked up a tin--now I wish I had.
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/pipe-tobacco/80258/tabac-sherman-blend-536/#p-148757

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As peck's post says, 536 is available in tins at online retailers. It started being sold in tins about eight months ago.

I first sampled it at their Manhattan store and have often recommended it on Forums. I think it is among the most

refined English blends. It is not Latakia forward, but uses it skillfully to bring up the other tobaccos. It's a genius blend.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
NatS has a new fellow, Chris McGraw, working with them. He's very sharp and vigorous - I met him at the Chicago Show. He said he was beefing up NatS's pipe offerings, and I have sampled a new VA/Per he's been working on. The wonderful 536 tins being reintroduced are evidence of their seriousness in increasing their pipe orientation.
hp

les

briarfriar

Can't Leave
That's Chris McGrath. He's in the Forums here somewhere.
All three of the familiar tinned blends are back, made by Lane: 314 City Island Dawn, 509 Manhattan Twilight, and 536 Empire English.
New offerings created by Chris are 702 Dragoon (Latakia, Perique, et al.) and 127 Wayfarer, a VaPer. These are made by C&D.
Jay

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I've been sitting on 5 tins of Nat Sherman 536 for several years. All this talk of the blend is going to "force" me to pop a tin. Perfect weather here in Ohio for a good English blend.
Mike S.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oops. The tinned 536 has been around longer than I thought. Hope it stays around. I guess it is more

recent on the web pages I visit.

christogie

Lurker
Dec 23, 2013
Chris from Nat Sherman here. Right now, I have two blends that I do for the store. One is 702 Dragoon, a full-bodied English mixture with enough Perique to kill a horse. The other one is Wayfarer, a medium-bodied VA/Per. I'm working on a third blend for the shop which will be available later this month. If you guys need any more info, you can e-mail me (cmcgrath@natsherman.com), or search out our tobaccos on www.tobaccoreviews.com. Cheers!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
chris, it was a true pleasure to stop by the store in Manhattan and have 536 recommended by Cliff there.

I sat right down and lit up, in my handmade Jerry Perry (N.C. pipe carver). What a great confirmation of

Nat Sherman's reputation. I felt like, "This is the place!" My wife lived in Greenwich Village for decades

and worked in NYC and on Long Island, so she is a good guide around the metropolis. Keep those blends

coming to the wider market. Love that dramatic clock over the door at the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.