Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Nat Geo's "Genius"- Anyone Watch It?

(15 posts)
  1. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I started out watching this series about Einstein, and decided to keep watching the series due to the way it was filmed and acted. We all know that Einstein smoked the pipe, but outside of his genius with math and physics, what do we really know about the man? Yes, the series is about Einstein the man and his life from youth to death. I checked to see how accurate the story is, and it seems the makers did some real research on his life. Johnny Flynn and Geoffrey Rush do a credible job of portraying the young and older Einstein. A fair amount of pipe smoking takes place too, especially with the older Einstein. Interesting show all in all.

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Yup me and the wife are watching it. Awesome show.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I DVR'd it, but haven't watched it yet. I will heartily recommend buying Walter Isaacson's book Einstein: His Life and Universe. It's the best biography written of Einstein.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't watched it. I'm sure it's way over my head. But, many, many years ago I heard this and, while I pretty much discounted the factoid, in the recesses of my mind was a bit of nagging doubt. I was only 8 or 9 at the time. Perhaps one of you watching can settle this once and for all for me. In the morning, after he brushed his teeth, did Einstein in fact comb his hair by sticking his fingers into the electrical socket?

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

warren:

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nicky Tesla came over one day and installed a generator for him.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He'd have had to pack that around until he had "peeps" later in his career. I suspect he just used what was available in his travels. 220, 120, AC, DC, it's all good. Perhaps a kite with a key when he was in out of doors.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am almost completely caught up on that series. Good stuff. I just missed two episodes.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My wife is hooked on it. I have not watched it.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

jitterbugdude

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most people probably are aware that Einstein married his cousin because, as he put it she was "well endowed". This later become known as the Theory of Relative Titty.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Omg.... That's rich! And full bodied! Flavorful!

On a serious note, thanks for this thread, as I missed it otherwise. Thank heavens for DIRECTV's On Demand library- can download all 11 or 12 eps and binge.....Have the first two in hand, and the last one live records soon.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I've watched all but the final two episodes. I enjoyed it and knew relatively (get it!) little about Einstein. It turns out, in addition to being a genius, he was a real asshole! I thought they did a good job morphing his hair between the young and old actors, it took on a life of it's own.

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. randelli

randelli

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

His niece was pretty cute too!

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way" - Mark Twain

KG5QDZ
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Walter Matthau, after the proper application of electricity, would have been a dead ringer in a biopic.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Meg Ryan was Einstein's neice?

Oh! Wait! That is Meg Ryan and Walter Matthau. I thought the hair was a bit too styled. Walter's not Mag's.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   geopiper, heeman, americaman, upnorth1, georged, weezell, ashdigger, swan, ron123, hauntedmyst, davidy97, npod, redglow, jiminks, bradical