PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I started out watching this series about Einstein, and decided to keep watching the series due to the way it was filmed and acted. We all know that Einstein smoked the pipe, but outside of his genius with math and physics, what do we really know about the man? Yes, the series is about Einstein the man and his life from youth to death. I checked to see how accurate the story is, and it seems the makers did some real research on his life. Johnny Flynn and Geoffrey Rush do a credible job of portraying the young and older Einstein. A fair amount of pipe smoking takes place too, especially with the older Einstein. Interesting show all in all.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I DVR'd it, but haven't watched it yet. I will heartily recommend buying Walter Isaacson's book Einstein: His Life and Universe. It's the best biography written of Einstein.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I haven't watched it. I'm sure it's way over my head. But, many, many years ago I heard this and, while I pretty much discounted the factoid, in the recesses of my mind was a bit of nagging doubt. I was only 8 or 9 at the time. Perhaps one of you watching can settle this once and for all for me. In the morning, after he brushed his teeth, did Einstein in fact comb his hair by sticking his fingers into the electrical socket?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
He'd have had to pack that around until he had "peeps" later in his career. I suspect he just used what was available in his travels. 220, 120, AC, DC, it's all good. Perhaps a kite with a key when he was in out of doors.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Most people probably are aware that Einstein married his cousin because, as he put it she was "well endowed". This later become known as the Theory of Relative Titty.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Omg.... That's rich! And full bodied! Flavorful!
On a serious note, thanks for this thread, as I missed it otherwise. Thank heavens for DIRECTV's On Demand library- can download all 11 or 12 eps and binge.....Have the first two in hand, and the last one live records soon.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've watched all but the final two episodes. I enjoyed it and knew relatively (get it!) little about Einstein. It turns out, in addition to being a genius, he was a real asshole! I thought they did a good job morphing his hair between the young and old actors, it took on a life of it's own.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
His niece was pretty cute too!

B0039HR5VS_IQ_UXPA1._V391273511_RI_SX940_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.