PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrfus

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
Hello to every one, I pick this kirsten on eBay and as the title of the post say the bowl is stuck... it wasn't too hard to remove the stem or the valve but the bowl it's a totally different story!!
So my first question will be if some one have any ideas on how to remove it? I already try cooling down the pipe, and trying to loose the bowl screw...
[img=http://s15.postimg.cc/k48pnunp3/IMG_20130726_171920.jpg]
Thank you

Mr.Fus

Aug 1, 2012
Have you tried a screwdriver in the slots at the bottom of the bowl? A little gentle working on that might do the trick.

mrfus

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
Yes I know the bowl ring is broken... that was going to be my second question! (After getting the bowl off)... I try to work the screw but its not moving and I'm afraid to damage it, the bowl is super nasty so I think that is why is stuck on, for what I can see it was never cleaned at all!
I just put it on the freezer and the stopwatch is running, as soon as I get it off I will contact Kirsten to see if I can get a new ring and a new set of orings.

mrfus

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
I have good news, after 45 minutes on the freezer I was able to remove the bowl and clean the radiator stem... now I have the valve and the radiator clean, and the mouthpiece stem was cleaned early today using a bath of oxiclean and Mr. Clean® Magic Eraser®. The only pending parts are some work with Micro Mesh on the stem to get a good gloss finish and... a miracle cleaning the bowl, finding the bowl ring and BeesWaxing!

mrfus

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
Yes I have read the same, some people mention that they shut off the pipe making part of the business, they still have some NOS of loose parts but you have to talk to them over the phone and even I read the other day that they are restarting production of pipes and they are trying to catch with some orders.
I was working on the nasty cake while watching Heartbreak Ridge but I think I have enough for one day, it's looking (and smelling) much better, you can see the inside of the bowl on some areas but I still have some spots where the build shows because of the uneven nasty cake, I hope that when I light this one for the first time the heat and oil from a fresh smoke will loose it and make it easy to remove.
Stem just coming out of the OxiClean
[img=http://s15.postimg.cc/ly6ob0zpz/IMG_20130727_121035.jpg]
After MagicEraser
[img=http://s15.postimg.cc/jscdgiw9j/IMG_20130727_123038.jpg]

mrfus

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
Finally after a couple of days of carefully work sanding and cleaning the tobacco chamber on my bowl, it's 90% clean and free of old cake.
bowl2-600x450.jpg

The bowl and the rim are rough but I'm not going to do any sanding or nothing, I see the scratches as battle scars, part of the personality of the pipe itself... so I'm just going to clean it really good and do the beeswax beauty treatment (null) and see if I can find the damn bowl ring :cry:, or end up constructing something similar.
bowl-450x600.jpg

Aug 1, 2012
Nice job, just love the meer bowl. Can't help you on a replacement bowl ring but if you can't get replacement o-rings from Kirsten, you might try one from a corny keg. You can get them at most homebrew supply shops.

mrfus

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
As amazing as it can sound after all the mistreat that this poor pipe suffer the O-rings are still perfect!
I should have took a picture of the bowl before the reaming of the cake, but I was so mad to see it and wonder how some one will buy a pipe, add a meerschaum bowl and then screw it so bad...
I'm still wondering how to remove the bowl ring with no damaging the bowl or finish to destroy the ring, I'm even tempted to just keep it as is and avoid the Murphy's law!
I have not get the chance to call Kirsten Pipes (I just send a email to them but for what I have read they are not good answering emails) to ask about the bowl ring, or if they are already back on track and making parts for pipes…

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
"replacement o-rings from Kirsten, you might try one from a corny keg. You can get them at most homebrew supply shops."
OK Captain, I'll bite - what is a corny keg? I need an O ring for my Kirsten.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
In a related matter, I have a Kirsten with a stuck valve. Any ideas on how to loosen it without reefing on it with pliers? The bowl is also stuck, but you guys answered that question above. Thanks in advance for any tips.

mrfus

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
I will think that the freezer method will help to loose the valve, the Kirsten that I'm cleaning its a 3rd generation with o-rings on mouthpiece and valve (The hexagonal kind for the Esquire model) and that make it easy to dissemble even if is all nasty, on my first generation they removed the valve using pliers and damage the finish but still is holding really good.
Maybe after the bowl is removed you can put some alcohol on the radiator and tap the valve from inside using the back of pen to get it loose.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Thanks fus, I had the same problem - I have a first gen and didn't want to use pliers. I'll give the freezer a try.

mrfus

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
Well finally I'm done with my pipe, I already polish the mouthpiece...
20130807_081808-600x450.jpg

And I have re-wax and buff the bowl, the only detail still pending it's the replacement for the bowl ring but the broken one it's more of a visual detail than functional because the screw it's on really good shape and the treads are fine.
The re-wax process was interesting and challenging, but really helped to clean the surface of the bowl and looks like on the long run will protect the surface from collecting oils and dirt from outside that will stain the bowl.
20130807_081749-600x450.jpg

I already enjoy two bowls of Mac Baren Plumcake and I love it!

Aug 1, 2012
Another way to remove the stuck valve is to put a length of dowel in the radiator and gently tap the valve out. Looks nice and if you like how it smokes, even better.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
OK Captain, I'll bite - what is a corny keg? I need an O ring for my Kirsten.
Cornelius keg, formerly used by the soda industry for storing soda for fountain dispensing. Most have moved to a bag-in-box or alternate system and homebrewers are now using the kegs for kegging their own beer.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Thanks to both of you.
Been thinking about brewing beer, problem is I'm not much of a beer drinker. It just looks like it could be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.