PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I have just won a trio of estate pipes on Ebay and now see why there were so few bidders on the lot.
Can anyone beat these for pure nastiness?
_57-3-600x450.jpg

I reckon these little beauties will stretch my (limited) refurbishing skills to the limit!
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The previous owner sure liked cake! What a pile of work, but you may come up aces after a thorough "cleaning". Any recognizable marques?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Looks like fun.
At least there is a decent cake layer built up. I've had more than a couple lots that came in like that, and generally found that they restored well, so long as there aren't any surprises under the cake.
Look forward to seeing them brought back to the land of the living... or at least functioning.
-- Pat

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I will never understand cake that thick. I have a couple of pipes that I have had for 25 years, and they look nothing like that.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't think of them as pipes yet. That might trigger your gag reflex. Instead, think of it as raw material. Under all that crud is a shaped briar and a stem "blank," to think of it that way. Like chase' says, the preliminary sandpaper and carving out will advance the project into pipe restoration rather than coal mining. Why someone would let them advance to this state is a puzzle -- no time or no concentration. Clearly the owner loved his 'baccy. Don't forget to scour out the airway where more crud hides.
They should have paid you to take these.

May 31, 2012
Cool thread.
I like seeing everyone post up pictures of these overcaked pipes!
In my experience, a heavy cake can often be a good thing and actually preserves the inner bowl in near immaculate condition -- unless the cake caused cracking I generally don't mind heavy cake on estates, but often a heavy caker is also a constant knocker and over time the rim may have become deformed.
I think that back in the day, such thick cakes were a badge of honor.
Pipes were inexpensive, just smoke the hell outta 'em!
I'm glad that old smelly pipes have survived for I'm sure that many "normal" people would see such artifacts as prime candidates for the rubbish bin!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd be tempted to smoke such as the above once or twice before removing most of the cake.... Guess I'll have to step up my barn sales searches!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
MLC, actually the seller did state that he almost binned them...how's that for honesty?
JPM I shall send thm to you to smoke as is on condition you post a picture of you doing so :nana:
Am not sure what they are yet but will update upon arrival.
Orley, I am actually bidding on another lot that includes a Dunghill (with cracked bowl!) but I reckon I will lose that auction. I mostly want to buy them for two others in the lot, I have no keen desire to own the Dunghill but suspect that one pipe will spoil matters for me :crying:
Regards,
Jay.

Dec 24, 2012
I can't believe you won Harris's pipe auction. He will be sorry to see those beauties go.
I have never cleaned a pipe with a pressure washer before. Should be fun for you.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Those crusty assed burners are the ones that always I'm drawn towards.
The original smoker obviously loved that pipe. So why wouldn't I?
I'll bet four out of five of those pipes will be wonderful smokers. Depending on the quality of your stable, they might not be keepers, but they'll damn well deliver the goods.
Thanks for the pix, Jay. We've seen your handiwork so please post the end results - none of us will be disappointed.
Fnord

Mar 30, 2014
wv
You may get lucky and have a nice pipe hiding under the crud. You'd be surprised what some people have sent for me to fix.
qPJt8QIl.jpg

0IOyW5vl.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Well blow me down I just won the other auction with the Dunghill pipe in amongst it! It's a Cumberland 41052 if that means anything. I reckon at £5.76 ($8.43) that must be the cheapest Dunghill pipe ever though it is of course damaged (cracked bowl).
Please keep showing your nastiest estates, whereas most folks love to see finished pipes I love to see them as they arrive at the worktable, I love to try to see the potential they offer :D
Regards,
Jay.
PS: Does a Cumberland stem clean up in the same way regular Vulcanite stems do?

Status
Not open for further replies.