PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Finally! It's back! The Daytona 500 is next Sunday. Anyone else here gonna be watching, or perhaps even going? I'm a big Tony Stewart fan, myself (Go Smoke!) But I have some other favorites as well.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I only watch occasionally and every time I do, I really enjoy it and promomise myself Im going to watch more but I dont. I was able to photograph the Indy 500 in 2008 from Danica Patrick pit stop and that was an epic experience. After that, I like to watch racing in general but I'm really a MotoGP fan.

Jan 8, 2013
Indy with Danica's pit crew huh? That had to be cool :) I like MotoGP as well, and AMA Superbike. Well it's on Sunday Zonomo. And Danica is on the pole. First time in history a female driver won the pole in Nascar. She's got a fast car. Fastest car in second practice as well. I'm excited to see how she does.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Wow, I didn't know that, I'm definitely recording it. I wonder if I'd get in trouble for posting a few of my pics. I have some of Dan Weldon too - RIP.

Jan 8, 2013
Those would be some great pics to see, zonomo.
Puffy, the last 20 laps or so are definitely the best, but it's like reading a good book. You might see how the hero wins the battle at the end, but you're missing out on the trials he had to go through to get there.

scurvydog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 23, 2012
I love it...I to am a Smoke fan. I only live an hour from Daytona. I took the family, hell the whole neighborhood to the shootout "Sprint Unlimited" last Saturday. I'm going to the Budweiser Duels on Thurs and I also have 500 tickets. I am also going to NH race in July.

Jan 8, 2013
scurvydog... I'm jealous :worship: I hope you have a great time. I'm pretty close to Texas Motor Speedway, and I fully intend to catch one of the races here this year.

brianlevine

Might Stick Around
Oct 10, 2011
I will most definitely be watching and my daughter and I will be cheering on Denny Hamlin. Check out my Facebook page for pictures from the last three races here in Charlotte.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I had season tickets to Texas Motor Speedway the first eight years it was here; didn't miss a race. I much prefer road courses than ovals though. The street racing around Reunion Arena before Tx Motor Speedway was built were awesome; Trans Am was the headliner and it was all general admission, so you could switch corners between races. If any of you don't have a scanner, rent one and you'll never go to a race without a scanner again.
Best line I ever heard was in a truck race - the guy on the pole wiped out about a third of the way in and they were all sad, but they taped him up and sent him back out. He actually started moving back up the field, but when he got in the top ten, wrecked himself again.
Someone said, "Well, we're done" and the crew chief replied, "Like hell, we goin' to fix it! Killer, go to the garage and get me some epoxy, some racing tape and a whole bunch of hammers!" It was pretty sweet.

bigmick

Might Stick Around
Nov 1, 2012
Big fan here. I just switched cable companies to get another DVR so I can record the races I'll miss this year due to work. I didn't have to switch but I got a better deal.
Anyway Daytona is my "superbowl". I spend the afternoon sitting on the couch and staring at the TV. I go the the Darlington race every couple of years. My folks live in Myrtle Beach and get a bus tour to the race. Doesn't cost much more and I don't have to fight traffic. I live about two hours from the Kentucky speedway so hopefully I'll get to the race there. 4 hours to Indy so that's on my bucket list too.
Nice to see Danica on the pole, but it's a different world when there is 43 other drivers on the track with her. I'll reserve judgement based on her finish.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I pay attention to what's happening in NASCAR all year but I really only watch regularly in the winter/early spring. I enjoy watching the "big one"(and the finger pointing after) and the last laps at the plate races. F1 is my favorite series I watch/record every lap of the season. 8O

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
I'll be watching the Daytona 500! I am a great NASCAR fan and my favorite is Danica. An insurance client of mine is a NASCAR Official. He has supplied me with a signed photo of Danica and two lug-nuts from her race car. I use them as paper-weights on my desk at the office and refer to them not as lug-nuts, but rather, "LOVE-NUTS"!

I want to be watching when she wins her first NASCAR race. I'll miss skiing this weekend to watch her race on Sunday. I wish her well and I wish my name was Ricky Stenhouse Jr.! I'll also be puffing on all of my favorite blends during the race with my air-purifier on. It will be very interesting. She does have a temper! A message to Ricky Stenhouse... "if you want to continue to be her lover, don't get in her way on the track"!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jan 8, 2013
@Sal57 Johnson's great. I've always liked watching him race. He has a lot of class. But if it comes down to him and Stewart, I gotta go for Smoke.
@Captain Bob I hope Danica does well too. She's had some rough going the last few seasons, but she's improving and quickly making a name for herself in what historically has been a man's world. I can't wait to see her get her first win. But again... if it comes down to her and Stewart, I gotta go for Smoke. Well... I might just go for Danica on that first win ;)

scurvydog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 23, 2012
I went to the Budweiser Duels yesterday. I was 80 degrees and sunny (just wanted to make all of you people up north jealous). The first duel was better than the second.

Jan 8, 2013
worked on me... super jealous. Hope you had a good time :)
Last time I was at Texas Motor Speedway, we were sitting off the start/finish. I was sitting to my brother's right, wearing black jeans and a black t-shirt. My brother, again to my left, decided to eat a funnel cake. The pack flies by from my left to right at 190 mph.... powdered sugar from funnel cake becomes part of my attire.

Status
Not open for further replies.