PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I did a nasal snuff tutorial for YouTube. These are by no means the only correct ways to take snuff, in fact my ways are a little unorthodox, but they work quite well, particularly the way I use the tube sniffer, which causes people a lot of headaches and is shown incorrectly (making lines and snorting) on a lot of channels.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEDux-U5dfY

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I'll have to check this out from home, can't see it from this computer. I take an occasional pinch of snuff. I'm definitely a pincher with the finer grinds. I actually prefer some of the fluffier German snuffs and most of mine are in tap boxes. I always use the back of the hand for those.

Jul 12, 2011
Some of my favs;

SG's Black Coffee

McChrystal's O&G

F&T's HDT

Wilsons Sharrow Crumbs of Comfort

Bernard Zwiefacher

Poschl Apricot, Lowenprise and Packard's Club
I also sprinkle some on top of a packed bowl, to kick up the blend

if it is a little low on Vita-N :)

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Zwiefacher is one of my favorites. I'm generally a fan of all the Bernard snuffs I've tried to this point. I currently have Zwiefacher, Amostrina, Brasil Dopplefermentiart and Fichtenadel, not sure I spelled ANY of those correctly, in the rotation. I also keep around the O&G, Poschl Ozona Orange and F&T Bourdeaux and F&T Old Paris.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For me, snuff is the nasal version of eye drops, not something I want to do. This stems from oppressive

pollen allergies as a kid that hit me in the eyes and nasal cavities. Pure misery for all of August that finally

relented living always in a sea breeze, or at sea, in the Navy. A harsh cure but effective. But I can't put

anything up my nose, or won't.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Good stuff! I love the pipe, but snuff is a real close second in my book. Cigars are enjoyable from time to time, but a distant third to those two.

carbz13

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2013
Well...you've managed to peak my interest in this stuff...yet again, so I finally ordered a few to try from Mr. Snuff. How bad is the learning curve with this stuff? Do you leave it in, or blow your nose after a while to clear it all out? Can you taste it at all, or is it mostly just smell? I'll try the pinch first, but I grabbed one of the cheap bullets to try also.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
The experience is mostly smell, but since smell is linked to taste I ususally refer to it as "flavor" rather than just smell. You'll see once you've tried it. There isn't much of a curve. The only real hurdles are taking too much at once and sniffing too hard. Just like learning to puff slow on a pipe, getting the right amount and sniffing just enough so that it works for you takes a little time. Also don't worry if you just can't stand one flavor or another. There are plenty out there for everyone. I tried a lemon one and just didn't like it. I also tried one that I liked, but it made my nose run every time I did it, so I gave that one away. Luckily snuff is cheap enough you can afford to experiment a bit without going broke!

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I have enjoyed snuff a quite a lot. It messed up my sinuses and I gave it up for a while. Dang if I still like the stuff! Wish the shipping from the UK was not so pricy. Wilson's of Sharrow makes some great snuff!

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
That is just nasty.
As nasty as spitting chewing tobacco into a jar.
This has got to be the crack version of smoking.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Hey. I spit tobacco into cans. :|
For real though, I kiiinda wanna try some snuff. Black Coffee sounds good... But I guess I wouldn't be listening to it would I?

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
This has got to be the crack version of smoking.
You're obviously not cut out to be a 16th century Spanish Aristocrat. Tobacco in snuff form was brought back from the Caribbean by Cristoforo Columbo and his crew. Spain literally held the monopoly on production and distribution and it became a pricey commodity, so much so that its use was typical only to the Aristocracy.
Here's a bit from the Royal Pedia of Wiki:
By the 18th century, snuff had become the tobacco product of choice among the elite. Snuff use reached a peak in England during the reign of Queen Anne (1702-14).[2] It was during this time that England's own production of ready-made snuff blends started, home-made blending was common.[2] Prominent snuff users included Pope Benedict XIII who repealed the smoking ban set by Pope Urban VIII, King George III's wife Queen Charlotte referred to as 'Snuffy Charlotte' had an entire room at Windsor Castle devoted to her snuff stock, King George IV had his own special blends and hoarded a stockpile of snuff.[1][2] Napoleon, Lord Nelson, the Duke of Wellington, Marie Antoinette, Alexander Pope, Samuel Johnson and Benjamin Disraeli
Much like our beloved Briar, if you Snuff, you are in the company of some great history. It even comes "Royal Air MAil" to my house, which makes it sounds as if Her Majesty the Queen Herself has included me in the Royal pastime. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.