PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Greetings friends!
I acquired a very lovely Dunhill apple shaped pipe today, and the stampings are all almost gone. There are a few ghosts left though, and I'm thinking with all the clues added together, perhaps we could come to a roundabout timeframe for the creation of this pipe.
Here are all the clues:
>Nomenclature I can make out:
R

Dunhill London

[other side of shank]

MAD....

PAT
>Fishtail Stem
SO, here's as far as I can piece together:
Fishtail stem started in the '30s, as did the Root Briar line I believe.

The Patent number (as of now unreadable) dates this pipe to pre-1954, correct?

So at the moment I'm looking at anywhere from 1930-1954?
I have read that the Group Number system started in 1951, but as of now, I haven't identified any Group Number markings. I'm digging through my stuff looking for a magnifying glass to see if that helps at all.
Do any of you fine folks have any more knowledge? Have I narrowed it down as far as possible at this point? Thanks for the help. I'll update here if I am able to make out any more markings. I think there are a few left to decipher if I look hard enough.
Thanks!
Steve

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The Dunhill over London makes the pipe 1950 or earlier. Without the patent number and year number it's difficult to be precise. Have you tried using a loupe with a high intensity light source to see if you can make out the tracings of the nomenclature?

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
That's what I'm currently working on, Sable. Hoping I'll be able to make out even just one or two numbers of the patent in order to narrow things down further. Thanks for the info so far!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Fun! Well it is a great vintage where ever it falls, if it is a patent pipe. Might even be a rare WWII pipe. Good luck in your exploration!

Status
Not open for further replies.