PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
After many years of smoking different pipes I seem to gravitate towards the lighter weight ones. I prefer narrow bits, Less feel and easier to clench which to me equals more flavor from the tobacco that I'm puffin. Not that I don't enjoy a large hunk of briar that smokes equally as well with a broad stem. What says Yee

landon

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2013
I concur light and narrow are easier to clench so they get smoked more while I'm busy doing work or driving .

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've purchased three new pipes in the last 10 years or so and never considered weight. I've not felt the need to weigh my 24 smokers. All are fairly large to very large bowls and bent to some degree. I keep my pipe resting between my molars with little to no pressure from the jaw. My heaviest, noticeably heavier, pipe is also my smallest, a Pete with silver mountings and wind cap.
The only distinction I make when selecting one to smoke is that the meers are smoked inside and the briars outside. I've never noticed any particular distinction between heavier and lighter.
Now, I have to get the cooking scale out and start making note as to weight, mouth fatigue and smoking enjoyment. I hate it when I have to think about smoking as I smoke!

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
I've never considered weight either, when i saw a pipe that tickled my fancy, I just bought it.But after smoking well over 100 different pipes of various sizes and weights I would say that I prefer light and narrow.I have numerous pipes that are large and light with wide stems that i do smoke but just not as often.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
It depends on what I'm doing. I'm a holder, not a clencher, but if I'm driving or working in the yard I'll need to clench some so I'll go light & narrow (billiard or Canadian). If I'm lounging on the patio listening to the ballgame on a summer's eve I'll go broad and heavy. But my Nording freehands are quite light for their size. I can smoke one until it finally peters out in the 7th inning. I also have other large pipes which are too large to clench but make great holding smokes. To each his own,
Dave :puffy:

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
Clench-ability has become very important to me. I don't just sit in an armchair and smoke- I like to go places. I prefer more slender pipes, but the weight is the big thing. I don't own a pipe that weighs more than 45 grams anymore, and my favorite pipe is about 35 grams.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Straight and less than 50 g. I just got an Edwards estate 7" straight Canadian, and it's a joy to smoke. 40 g!

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I don't like much more than a 7/8 wide bowl, and nothing over 1.5 oz (42g).
The perfect pipe to me is either a prince or apple weighing in around 1 oz (28g). I do have some larger pipes that I purchased when I was a beginner. They are good smokers, but get neglected due to their size and weight, around 2 oz (56g).

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
My modest collection covers a broad range of sizes and shapes, and I like it that way so I can try new blends in different pipes looking for a good match. Why just today I had the best smoke so far of Sherlock Holmes in a straight billiard with a large bowl. I actually read a post on this forum that mentioned something about VA's in a larger bowl and this VaBur performed excellently.
I'm glad to have varied shapes and sizes and will continue to expand my options.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Great OP and something I've never consciously thought about before. I'm an inveterate clencher and I also smoke while walking to and fro, so - although I've never weighed a pipe and have never looked at the weight when buying - I find that I have almost all smaller, lighter, straight or slightly bent pipes. The stem needs to be narrower rather than wide so that it sits just so in my bite. I have a wide range of lengths and shapes, from nose-warmers to lumbermen (is that the correct plural?!) but my pipe has to have the right balance or it's not workable. It doesn't help that I never sit still long enough to warrant a large-bowled beauty that provides 2 hours of puffing; life's too short and there are too many blends to enjoy!
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.