PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stosho

Might Stick Around
Aug 10, 2013
Can anyone shed some light on the meer below. I picked it up with a bunch of other pipes and had the stem replaced my Mike Meyers at Walker Pipe Repair. The case it came in says ECHT BERNSTEIN and ECHT NATURMEERSCHAUM. Wondering what it is I have here.

buzkirk

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
Probally Austrian, maybe Straumbach ?

There are a few Austrian carvers for meer, could be any, hard to say without makers marks.

stosho

Might Stick Around
Aug 10, 2013
The inside of the case reads Fatelli Righini with Venezia written below.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@stosho the picture of the spark plug was amazing. Did that come with the pipe? The bike was very nice as well but just a little too young for my tastes. I have never been a fan of the Japanese 'rice rocket'and in my humble opinion motorcycle technology in the Great Britain and the US hit its zenith around 1936. That being said, from the picture of the pipe 'sans stem' did it have a collar around it made of something other than meerschaum? If so you have a very rare beast there. Also did it come with a case with gold markings etc on the outside?

stosho

Might Stick Around
Aug 10, 2013
Still trying to figure out what this pipe may be. The stem has now been replaced professionally. I like it, smokes well by my modest standards. I would just like some history or background to understand what I found.

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Best guess by the shape, I'd say teens-to-forties, Venezia of course = Venice, so either Italian-made or just Italian-sold. Originally had amber stem, was that broken or missing? Until someone has more information, just take it as a well-smoking, vintage or antique plain meer from Europe, and a good buy.

stosho

Might Stick Around
Aug 10, 2013
Good eye on the stem. I had it replaced. I purchased the pipe and it only had the tenon and a small piece of the stem. I wasn't sure if the pipe was worth the cost of the replacement but it was the first meer I have acquired and I like smaller bowled pipes. I really wanted it up and running. I think the replacement came out nice. I went through Walker Pipe Repair.

irishmike

Lurker
Dec 31, 2014
Hi everyone. I'm new here. I was wondering if you could help me identify the maker of my great grandfathers pipe. I do not see any marks on the pipe or stem but the leather case has a label in it. It reads "genuine meerschaum and amber" it has the initials "MC' in the center.He passed away about 75 years ago.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I've had a few of the "ECHT" pipes. I had always assumed they were German or Austrian. Why else have the German stamps on the case? The stems are usually the orange swirl amber, and by the style of stems and cases I figured they were late 19th early 20th century pipes. There are usually one or two available on ebay.

So..are they rare and valuable? I wouldn't say that they are unless the size or shape is really striking. But they are good quality meerschaum pipes and interesting collectables from a bygone era. For one in good shape I'd pay decent money. But not big money.

Your pipe is nice. The replacement stem fits it well. IMO, it's probably worth about what you've spent on it.

Fratelli is probably the retailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.