PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I pulled a flake out of a jar to smoke in a Nuttens nose warmer and the sugar bloom is a thing of beauty. I think I will leave it sealed for a while. Any guesses on what blend?

2017-04-14-12-10-52-600x265.jpg

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
So that isolated area is "sugar bloom"???

I am use to a more extensive "sugar" presentation

Hope it ages well for you

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Wait. What do we get if we name it right? Do we get to spin a wheel? Do we get some of those flakes? I want prizes!

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Toob, I disagree. Most likely the white bloom seen in aged tobacco is of a lignocellulose nature with carbohydrates and sugars tagging along after the pressure of making the plug and then cutting is released. There are probably many products of lysed cells migrating to the surface of the cut tobacco flake surface and oils (eugenol, guaicol, phenolics, methulfurfural, fatty acids, etc) may be a part of the bloom but not the majority. The primary oils do not express themselves as a white bloom that I know of. I worked with lignocellulose for Georgia-Pacific and it does express itself in such a manner with pressure treated wood. You can see it any pressure treated product that is not post-acidified (washed). But I may be confusing all of this because it has been a very long time (3 decades) since I worked as a GP chemist well before going back to grad school so that I could become unemployed. :/
Ash got the flake ID correct. It is stonehaven.

Most likely the white bloom seen in aged tobacco is of a lignocellulose nature with carbohydrates and sugars tagging along after the pressure of making the plug and then cutting is released.

To a layman, what you have just described sounds like you are saying "extruded crystallized tobacco oils" to me. :puffy:

GLP has suggested that they are minerals. Which to me goes along with what everyone is saying. As long as someone doesn't think this white film is actually sweet sugars...

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Can everyone see all of that flying straight over my head? Doc your photo just made me want a cigar instead, and that only happens about once a month. :nana:

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Aquadoc, people who have actually analyzed bloom conclude that it is a mixture composed of KNO3, NH4Cl, as major constituents, and some volatile organic compounds.

Not sugar or other carbohydrates.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Looks appetizing like my primal attraction to a crispy piece of just-right bacon, with the wavy sides.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
The bloom is KNO3? And NH4CL? That would be bizarre. The potassium nitrate is reactive so I could see it being added (burning agent) but I doubt it would show up in "clumps" or at least it does not seem likely. I do not doubt the analysis, it is perplexing and contrary to what we see with similarly pressure/heat treated plant material. Now I am going to have to call in some favors to get access to some analytical equipment, GC-MS. I have nothing but time right now.
Cosmic, Thanks for the info. I have no idea how old these flakes are. They were gifted to me. I know that this one has less "bloom" than others in the jar.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Toobfreak is mistaken. I posted a thread here once upon a time. And yup - I woulda said Stonehaven in an instant. Incidentally, part of that "bloom" is a particular stain of budding yeast that commonly is found on molasses/treacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.