PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I was finally able to score an unfinished Savinelli 320 at Pipes and Cigars last week. These things sell out quickly every time they are available. I can see why there's so much love for this shape. It smokes wonderfully and without effort. Only a week in and maybe10 bowls through it and it's started building a nice cake and coloring up nicely. I'll probably wax it at some point once the color suits me. I can see that my voluptuous Italian briar mistress will be a regular in my rotation.
What's your experience with the coloring? Does it keep getting darker or does it quit doing so at some point?
Ren

Jan 8, 2013
320 are definitely a magic pipe. Mine smoke wonderfully. I don't believe waxing it will stop the coloring, although it will slow it down, as instead of absorbing oils from your hands and the tobacco, it will only absorb the oils from the tobacco. Nor do I believe it will stop coloring at all. As it gets darker it probably won't be quite as noticeable, I assume. Glad you're enjoying the new pipe :clap:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It's a piece of dead plant life. You can't stop it from aging. You can slow it a bit but, Mother Nature is relentless. Other than the external elements, which you can mess with and alter a bit, the color is mostly coming from the inside and until, all the available cellular areas are saturated with tobacco blend residues it'll continue to darken as long as you keep feeding it pipe tobacco residues.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
sablebrush maintains that coloring is from the outside. All I know is that I Ilke patina, whatever the source.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
sablebrush maintains that coloring is from the outside. All I know is that I Ilke patina, whatever the source.

Status
Not open for further replies.