PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
Let me explain that what tobacco I have accumulated to date has either come in plastic bags or in the 100 gm, round cans. I know that tobacco can come in smaller rectangular tins and I may order a couple one of these days. How do they open? Like a sardine can with a tab? Or with a can opener? And once opened, is there a plastic lid that comes with the tin to cover them? Or do you open and immediately jar them? Please try to overlook my ignorance! I have simply never handled one!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The small square tins have an indent under the lip of the lid. You just use a nickel (or a quarter if you're Peck), to pry the lid off by twisting the coin -- very similar to the round flat 100 gr. tins. There is no plastic cover, and they do not reseal very well. Best to transfer to a jar immediately if you don't smoke that tobacco exclusively.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey John, No need to apologize.

:worship: Those are actually very good questions, and one aspect of our hobby that is easily overlooked.

Those questions are those "take'm for granted" kind of inquiries that definitely need to be addressed.

I'm not sure but yours may actually be the first questions about smallish rectangular tins ever posed on here.

"A" for originality!
The smallish rectangular tins e.g. Samuel Gawith Grousemoor (Which I highly recommend by-the-by) can be opened with a penny, or knife blade, common screw driver... Just slip it under the edge of the lid and give a little lift or twist and listen for the air to rush in.... like on a can of fresh coffee.

Then if you so desire... leave it in the tin, it will dry out over time. (This is the way I prefer Grousemoor... Dry)

However; if you don't intend to smoke the tin straight through... Then by all means jar it up.

That's my two cents...

Great questions.

:puffy:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I use my finger nail as a lever to pop the seal, you can hear the vacuum break, then pop the top, no tools needed. Thick healthy6 nails are advised, I have broken one or two over the years. Not a hand model so that doesn't bother me. I usually have a tin smoked within a couple of days so I don't transfer to another container.

Status
Not open for further replies.