PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Let that be a lesson to you. Rule Nine! Initial capitalization on post titles.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
And as far as I know it's not a good idea to disassemble a pipe until it's cooled down.
That's as old as the hills. And I've never followed it nor have had a problem due to that. What I do find is true is that you don't leave the tenon out of the pipe for long under any circumstance . And if it's just been smoked, get it back in all the sooner.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
The truth is breaking it down after you smoke is the only way to clean the spittle, grunge before it dries. I have been smoking since I was 18, now 73 and have never broke a pipe while taking it apart while it's hot. I can only chuckle at the pipers who say they clean them the next day, too late, the crap has already dried.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
So what now. 50 years of experience on all makes models and grades of pipes, makes Brad and expert? Wait did I just define expert?
As far as dried crap, that is what people say we are smoking anyway.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Can't see the original post but separating a stem/shank is mildly "dangerous" . Obviously, on occasion it's necessary. Taking apart a pipe that isn't say, a Kaywoodie, while it is still warm is more "dangerous" and not at all necessary . Cracking a shank isn't the end of the world but why increase the odds?

My 2 cents.

Mike S.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
What loosens it is leaving it out, then the wood around the mortise shrinks outward and becomes larger (stem too loose) OR the goop in the mortise dries creating more friction, making re-inserting more difficult, even dangerous.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I can't compete with 50+ years of experience as I only have 45, but I've yet to crack a shank and create a loose stem. I generally clean my pipes at the end of a days use, separating the stem from the shank and sopping up the moisture and deposits in the shank, mortise, and stem, as well as wiping out the bowl. But I've occasionally cleaned a pipe the following morning without having to deal with dried up crap, the exception being the outside of the stem, and that comes off easily by mouthing the area and wiping it with a rag. I do let the pipe cool down before disassembly, as the goop is still wet and comes out with the application of a few pipe cleaners.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I have a pipe or two that doesn't like to come apart until it has cooled a bit but generally speaking I've never broken a pipe by taking it apart warm and I'm in the same age bracket as Brad and Jesse. Simple rule is don't force it. If it needs a little time that's OK but they should be cleaned before the juices solidify and get gummy. My experience suggests better sooner that later.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Don't know about myths and bad advice, but the mystery to me is how all of you can answer the OP's question 'cause all I see is a blank opening post.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I draw a blank on the original post too. That's what my wisecrack about Rule 9 was about.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
And, from another question that wasn't asked, "Don't ever get water near your pipe!" Thanks, Cardogan, ca. 1960. I frequently give my pipes a full rinse out with warm or hot water. Then towel dry, paper towel for chamber, dish towel for stummel and stem, then pipe cleaners for airway, q-tips for mortise. Best way to get rid of all ash, and, damn, that pipe's ready to go in an hour or two.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
It is surprising how little water is absorbed into the briar under a hot running tap. For an experiment a while ago I actually weighed a freshly reamed blasted stummel before giving it a good scrub with oil soap then rinsing under a hot tap. I wiped it down with a regular towel and weighed it again. The precise difference eludes me now but was in the region of .02g!
That said I would never allow water near a freshly buffed/polished pipe.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.