Status
Not open for further replies.

The Pipe Professor

Might Stick Around
May 14, 2016
Kentucky
thepipeprofessor.com
Greetings all!

If this breaks forum rules I apologize, and will make sure it doesn't happen again. Just wanted to share the Mystery Tobacco review that a panelist of pipe smokers completed this past month. I don't want to reveal the tobacco on the forum (spoiler), however, if you want to see how the mystery tobacco was reviewed under a non-biased perspective visit The Pipe Professor webpage at:
https://thepipeprofessor.com/2018/01/26/mystery-tobacco-review-1/
Also, I'd love to hear your feedback regarding this type of review system. Any comments or suggestions is always welcome and appreciated. Thanks all!
Cheers!

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
@ kaleehb....
Excellent site!...
Wish there was far more of this kind of objective critiquing when it comes to pipe tobacco blends and mixtures. If there are more such sites, I haven't found them. Yes....pipe forums do have "pipe tobacco review" sections, but the blends -and the reputation/pedigree that goes along with the blend name... or the company that makes it- surely influences opinions.
Blind tastings of "unknown" mixtures seems the way to go, whether the blend is judged to be good, bad, or indifferent.
Just curious....If ten experienced pipe-smokers/tobacco "reviewers" are given the same, but "unknown" blend to judge, how many could/would accurately name the tobacco mixture that they are smoking? Bet reviews/critiques of the blend-in-question would be all over the place. Famous names, matter. Could Dunhill ever produce an inferior blend or pipe? If their famous name/logo wasn't on their products how many would mistake their pipes or tobacco mixtures for something else? Try doing a Dunhill-blindfold test, and predict the results.
Tobacco Reviews are fun to read through, and they can be interesting, sometimes helpful, but ultimately the final smoker becomes the actual reviewer when they light their own pipes, and smoke it.
Personally....I look for the "strength ratings", and will tend towards the mild-medium/low nic. mixtures. I might be missing out on many wonderful mixtures. Ropes, Irish twists, and such, will never be in my pipe. Why would I bother? My spinning head's been in the toilet way too many times over the years. I'm too old for the dry-heaves.
Frank

NYC

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Interesting. Be fascinating if a blend I am familiar with were the subject.
Also, if the author of the trial is reading this, outlining the blends components would be "a good thing".

Status
Not open for further replies.