PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I posted a few days ago concerning an auction I won by way of TREASUREPIPES on eBay. I've not received the pipe yet, but have a couple photos. There is little to no nomenclature which is really odd. Any thoughts on nailing down what this thing is?

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
According to an old Estate pipe listing on SP.com, "The Dunhill Shilling received its name from a customer remark that a particular pipe had grain that was so tight and concentric, that it appeared as though the pipe were made from a stack of shillings."
Earliest I saw while searching was a 1996. Doesn't mean anything in regards to when they started but they were being produced that far back.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Looks like a mid-to-late 90s Shilling ( Ring Grain Cumberland ), possibly a Quaint shape. The shape stamping would usually be on the bottom of the bowl, which, of course, doesn't show up in any of those pics.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Rodrigo told me that what you see in that photo is all there is, no shape code or grading.
And thank you!! I had no intention of buying a pipe, but that shape and color I'd not seen before and It spoke to me. There something about it that makes me think damn that's a handsome pipe.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I should have done a bit more research before posting......
BUT
I looked up some things on the Shillings we have sold on SPC and the huge ones bear XL and/or HT (hand turned) stamps, the normal sized ones bear no stamping except this one piece in shape 4202 from 2001. They range from 1996 to mid 2000s. We listed them by shape...apples, dublins, billiards etc.
I'd call yours an apple, looks very much like the 101 shape.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I looked online and agree it looks very 101'ish. I'm more curious as to why no stamping? I've never seen a Dunhill pipe with only brand and finish, no numbers. Any thoughts as to why?

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
No idea. The Collector pipes don't have shapes either, and the Quaints don't say "quaint" anywhere on the pipe, or have a shape, just the group number in a circle......

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
OMG STAN!!! BRILLIANT IDEA!! thru a connection I have, I was able to get the email address of someone at Dunhill. I received the most wonderful and most thorough response! Brilliant!

Here's the email...

"Dear Mr. Allen,
Thank you for contacting Alfred Dunhill and your questions concerning your White Spot pipe.
A SHILLING pipe is by definition a FREEHAND (or HAND-TURNED) pipe in CUMBERLAND finish. That is why you don't see a 4-digit code, which would define one of the standard pipe shapes. However, your pipe should have a stamping either indicating "HT" for "Hand-turn" or "HT XL" for an "Extra-Large Hand-turned" pipe. The HT or HT XL stamping might be left of the dunhill logo (which your photos did not show).
As for the year of production, it is defined by the small 2-digit date stamp immediately following the MADE IN ENGLAND.
Your pipe shows those markings, but unfortunately they are not clear enough to recognise what those two digits are. Although we were not able to define the exact year, the other stampings allowed us at least to define a period of production.
First we thought we recognised a 22, which would have put your pipe into 1982 as year of manufacture, but since in 1982 our pipes were stamped with DUNHILL (in capitals) and not the dunhill longtail logo in an elliptical circle, it meant that your pipe was manufactured either in or after 1995, the year the logo changed.
As we now know that the two digits are not a "22", but there are definitely 2 straight lines recognisable, it meant that the two digits were UNDERLINED. In the year 2000, we changed our date code from being underlined to date codes without underline.
That means that we can accurately place the period of manufacture for said pipe in the 5-year period between 1995 and 2000.
We hope we could answer your questions satisfactorily and wish you a lot of enjoyment with your White Spot pipe.
Sincerely yours"

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Great response. Also, it's clear that employees have been re-programmed to call them "White Spot" pipes, so that's kind of interesting, too.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Pitchfork, I had the same thought lol. I'm certain it'll work and we'll all stop calling them Dunhills ;) I was just happy they responded at all. I hadn't expected any at all.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Heh. I've been tempted—at few and odd times—to insert a white spot into a stem or two of some of my less reputable looking pipes.....

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
And nice paperwork to go with the pipe if you ever want to sell it. It may only be an e-mail, but it's an e-mail from the manufacturer.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Aldecaker, yeah that's a good point! I have as they say "provenance". Hadn't considered that. It seriously renews some of my faith in Dunhill that they'd actually take the time to respond so thoroughly. I NEVER would've expected it.

Status
Not open for further replies.