Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
I know that this has been an active topic but I was wondering if anyone would have any new info on it. Can someone tell me about the pipe that Lee Van Cleef smokes in, "For A Few Dollars More." So far i have only come up with that it might be a half bent billiard shape but that's all i got.
Here's a pic of Lee smoking it.
3.jpg

And Another
7.jpg

Any opinions are appreciated! :puffpipe:
Edit: Fixed the pic for you, L

asianhombre

Lurker
Nov 29, 2011
He smokes a couple of pipes in that film.
One is a meerschaum apple or dublin bent with a yellow stem, made of either amber or bakelite or some sort of early celluloid plastic. This is a photo of a similar pipe, although this one is an Oom Paul shape, but you get the idea.

bwkg9hgbgkkgrhqvg8ev10cq9bmhrzksg_31-600x450.jpg

He also is depicted in a few scenes smoking a classic Peterson Bent pipe with a silver band on the shank. Here's a link to a photo:

81954a984c8b93ffd697d99af888.jpg

Hope this helps.
- Myles

asianhombre

Lurker
Nov 29, 2011
It's at least 3/4 bent, maybe full bent (not quite "Nose Warmer" bent though. Here's a photo of something similar

MarmaraBentBilliardBlockMeerschaumNOVO.jpg

Bear in mind, the pipe that appears in the film was obviously smoked quite a bit, hence the almost black bowl edges and gradient of color from black, to brown, to creme. It also has a fair amount of nicks in it, which explains the pebbled, "cow spot" effect in the close up shot.
The yellow stems like this are usually bakelite, but they could have used an OLD pipe, in which case the stem could've actually been real amber. But it looks a bit too bright yellow.
- Myles

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
Thanks that really helped a lot! By the way, do you know where i can find a cheap Meerschaum pipe?

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
This is the famous Pipe did belong to Lee Van Cleef. It is a WDC Meerschaum, but the bit is not amber. Likely, it is a replacement bit of amberoid plastic, which was very much in use for new Pipes and Pipe repairs at the time. Judging from the patina development, Lee had smoked the blazes out of it for years and knew how to use Beeswax for coloration and protection of the Block. I know of a lot of people who would like to know where this Pipe is now.... http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php?topic=3194.0
The first photo that asianhombre has supplied is a Paul Fischer OomPaul Meerschaum Pipe..., one that is in my collection. It bears nresemblancece to Lee's WDC.

http://pipesmagazine.com/members/fred/album/picture/817

asianhombre

Lurker
Nov 29, 2011
Well now that depends on your definition of "Cheap". On Ebay, there are several meerschaums for under $50. I might recommend buying a cheap one, smoking it and "earning" the darkening.
You can also find them quite often at antique stores. You might have to search around a bit though.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
You might try the copy and paste method to view the links frennchy11. They work for me and I'm not a computer guy, so I don't know why they wouldn't work for you.

asianhombre

Lurker
Nov 29, 2011
@Fred
Sorry for using your photo. I should have read the description and given you credit. A beautiful Oom Paul, BTW!

acme

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2011
The pipe is an african meerschaum. That style of blackening the top of the bowl is pretty common of the type, and not a result of use.
anthony

acme

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2011
I don't know what that stem material is, I just remember that if you are not real careful, when you heat it up and bend it, it will come apart like cheese.

anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.