PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
On a random whim, while waiting for my wife to get ready, I searched the local craigslist and came across a pipe that had only been posted for about 15 minutes. Described as "from the 50's and having a silver band", I was intrigued. The markings included "Made in the Republic of Ireland" and "Mark Twain" ... wait, Mark Twain? I had to do some brushing up but I discovered that these were from the 1980's. The initial two runs were numbered but the following years were not. Upon calling, the gentleman said a friend in California had given it to him to sell since he works swap meets and markets. We met and I explained what the pipe was and showed him how to date it by using the silver band's stamping. This one had an "A" which dates it to 1986. Quite a few internet searches to buy one came up empty handed so I figured I should grab it. Turns out, he was a really nice guy and we sat and smoked and talked for about an hour.
1986 Peterson Mark Twain with Sterling Silver Band:
16%2B-%2B1

16%2B-%2B1

Jan 8, 2013
Nice grab, Gobguy. I've been wanting a Mark Twain set but I prefer the smooths. I can't help but think I'd be happy with that one though :) Enjoy the heck out of it!

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
It does look really good. Man I wish there was opportunities like that here in China, but since no one bloody smokes, everything needs to be imported. And ebay doesn't let me make more than 3 bids on their stupid website. So far, lost all of them.
Back to the OP: I really like the finish and the feel to have found a hidden gem that one gets from your story cobguy ! Congrats and enjoy it well !

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
So interesting. I have 5 Mark Twains from the 80's and I have never seen a rusticated one. Good find!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Thanks gents ... it smokes really well after getting used to the P-lip which was a bit awkward at first.
My first smoke, Reiner Long Golden Flake, seemed more muted in flavor than usual. It's a fairly large diameter shank and I wondered if that contributed to this. After a couple of pipe cleaners and several hours rest, I loaded it again with some R.O. Firestorm. This one did really well and I loaded another bowl fairly soon because it was still cool and dry. The third bowl started to sing ... it had reached Cob level. :wink: Good air flow, comfy in the hand and balanced ... it'll be a good smoker.
I have 5 Mark Twains from the 80's and I have never seen a rusticated one.
Cool! Did you get a numbered one by chance? Here is a pic I found showing the rusticated with the others:
300px-Mark_Twain_rotation_pipes.jpg

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
noob question: have you detached the stem from the shank a little for the picture or are they like that ?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
have you detached the stem from the shank a little for the picture or are they like that ?
That's how they are designed ... gives some wiggle room to maintain perfect fit over time and makes it easier to turn slightly one way or the other off to the side while smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.