PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
I'm getting a real charge from these old radios. I acquired one the other day I actually didn't need to do a thing to but plug in and enjoy. I only had a few like that. Most require a little or extensive work. I hooked my transmitter into my CD player, put in some Tommy Dorsey and listened to it via this radio-a 1937 Zenith 12-S-266. It has twelve tubes, hence the prefix "12".
_DEF3865a.jpg

Check out the acoustical 12" adjustable speaker.
_DEF3866a.jpg

There's the famous Zenith "green eye" at the top of the dial that will let you know when you've honed in on the station. The cabinet has beautiful wood and the pic doesn't do it justice. i didn't think I was gong to be able to get it upstairs and the FedEx guy wouldn't help. I had to slide it up six stair steps and when I got to the top slid it across the floor and then tipped it up to open the box which took about an hour! Really, they really had it packed.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Both-nothing was changed except the old grill cloth was replaced and new electronics(capacitors and resistors) were replaced since the old ones dry up and leak.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
This is what the chassis looks like. It came separate from the console due to weight. Zenith made some fantastic radios. Wish you could hear it...it sounds superb and comparable to my Klipsch speakers!
_DEF3857a.jpg

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
THAT is cool . I love tube amps and such... you're giving me ideas for a man room... although I would have to find one that I could just plug and play. Id love to learn how to fix that stuff up! Great find.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
This is my temporary workplace until I can get better organized. You can see the old VTVM(vacuum tube volt meter) at the far left, current radio I'm working on standing on end with the new orange and blue capacitors, right behind it is my signal generator.
_DEF3872a.jpg

This is the transmitter I built so I can hook up an audio source such as a CE player or ipod so I can listen to any music I want through any radio in the house. It took several days to add all these tiny components.
_DEF3867a.jpg

One of my fancy signal generators.
_DEF3834a.jpg

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
What abeautiful piece of furniture, Colcolt. I'm sure every owner was proud to have that on display in their respective living rooms.
Do you ever work on any of the models that have Shortwave as a feature? I'm sure my shoebox sized Grundig has infinitely superior tuning capabilities but those old wireless sets have a coolness factor that just can't be measured. I love the dials that read London, Berlin, Rome and Buenos Aires.

johnnyxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2011
I work with electronics in the Army every day and its so cool to see this old circuitry, so simple (relatively, I work on digital X-ray units and the like) yet effective.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
fnord-The only shortwave set I worked on many moons ago was a Crosley American. It was Shortwave/Standard Broadcast and a beautiful example of the era.
I've always liked the Grundig but felt they may be a bit more complicated to work on if in part no other reason were the push buttons and maybe different tubes. German engineering is second to none, IMHO, however and I may get one some day. I see the on ebay quite often.
I work with electronics in the Army every day and its so cool to see this old circuitry, so simple (relatively, I work on digital X-ray units and the like) yet effective.
Simple indeed in comparison. It doesn't get any simpler than the old AA5(All American Five) radios. These had five tubes and no transformer. the power came from a selenium rectifier rather than a transformer with the power tube usually a 35Z5.

Status
Not open for further replies.