PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I realize everyone's palette is different but over the course of the last 4 months I've sampled, tried and settled on a few of my favorite smokes. I have a kind of log that I've been keeping and as I read back there have been a lot of changes and no doubt it will evolve further as time passes. I would be interested to hear about yours.

Happy puffing to everyone :puffpipe:
As my list currently exists:

Wow

Amazing

Awesome

Good

OK

Boring

Here are a few.
Wow

G.L. Pease Quiet Nights

G.L. Pease Gas Light

G.L. Pease Odyssey

McClelland 2020 Flake

H&H Old Dark Fired

Peterson Irish Flake

Esoterica Penzance

Esoterica Margate
Amazing

Escudo

Balkan Flake

H&H Black House

MacBaren Old Dark Fired

Esoterica Pembroke

Esoterica And So To Bed

Esoterica Stonehaven
Awesome

Dunhill Nightcap

H&H Latika Flake

Pegasus

Old Joe Krantz

Esoterica Woodbridge

PS Luxury Bulls eye flake

Lane Medal of Valor
Good

FMOTT

FMOTB
Boring

Sweet Killarney

MacBaren Original Choice

Peterson Old Dublin

Hoffman Spillman Mixture

4noggins Double Fantasy

H&H Trout Stream

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I'm with you on the Irish Flake, but there seems to be a typo where Old Joe Krantz is only listed under "awesome."

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I'm with you on the Irish Flake, but there seems to be a typo where Old Joe Krantz is only listed under "awesome."
lol... You do realize my list is constantly changing. Old Joe might get nudged up.

I made the mistake of smoking a bowl of Old Joe before breakfast this morning on an empty stomach.

Darn near tore my head off. :D

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Wow

McC Wilderness

Petes Uni Flake

Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark
Amazing

Petes Old Dublin

SG Skiff Mixture

McB ODF

Solani ABF

Ashton Artisans Blend

Fribourg & Treyer Wingate Mixture

Petes Wild Atlantic
Awesome

SG Best Brown Flake

Presbyterian

Dunhill DLNR

Dunhill EMP

Dunhill London Mixture

SWR
Good

Ashton Consummate Gentleman

Solani Golden Label

McC Oriental No.1
Boring

McC Frog Morton
Didn't really like C&D Bayou Morning and Petes Irish Oak.
:puffy:

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
Everytime I read a thread like this I add several tins to my list of "need to try". Peterson's University Flake is now on that list.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
In hindsight if I could edit my post one more time, I would only go as far down as good, and to that list I would add 3 tobaccos from the September Tobacco crawl by 4noggins and move BHT to Awesome.

Sorry about that.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
I put Frog Morton under boring. It's not a bad baccy but I've had the same tin (jar) open for about 5 months, so it gets bumped down.
Still it's a fun exercise. That dang 'to try' list ain't getting any shorter.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I'd really like to try C&D Star of the East, G.L. Pease Blackpoint, Engine #99, Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark, and G.L. Pease Maltese Falcon.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
There are a bunch of C&D burleys I'd like to get my hands on as well as a few more dark VA blends. As you can see I'm smoking english blends the majority of the time and wouldn't mind some more variety.

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
Stickframer: I only just noticed that Pete's Wild Atlantic made it into your Awesome catergory... Wow. I thought it would be a "good" blend. That just moved well up the "to try" list.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Stickframer & Shimano, I'm amazed that I've only tried six out of both your lists. I have quite a few of the others cellared but haven't tried them yet. We are in agreement on those six though

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
A couple of good looking lists there guys. Not sure what my list would look like next to yours? I'll have to try and put one together when I get some free time. :puffy:

Mar 1, 2014
I log almost every bowl on my Tobaccoreviews.com profile (same name), so it's about a hundred blends with one or two bowls, almost entirely first impressions, but I keep blends listed in four categories with my favorites on top.

Again, it's mostly initial impressions so don't take it too seriously.

Ironically many of my favorites are smoked the least because if I know I like it doesnt feel like I'm learning anything new by smoking it more. Having over a dozen untried blends in reserve doesn't help.

I was confused for a minute. You had Old Dark Fired listed twice, once as an H&H blend and then as a MacBaren's blend. I think you confused it because it is MacBaren's HH Old Dark Fired. Hearth and Home (H&H)doesn't have an Old Dark Fired. But, lots of people find it both Awesome and Amazing. :puffy:

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Cosmic you are correct. Typo on my part. Or maybe it was the scotch and the lateness of the hour.

As fmgee noted, these threads are great, but they make my 'to try' list that much longer.

Sigh...

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Good thread. Gives a guy like me an idea of what to order for the cellar when I haven't tried a whole lot. There seem to be a few standbys that make it on everyone's list--so that gives me a place to start, in addition to the Sixpence, SGFVF, and Capstan blue that I have tried.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Good thread. I like the categories. I've smoked dozens of different blends and have not smoked one that I didn't like. My chart would go from good to spectacular or something very similar to OP's system.

Status
Not open for further replies.