PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
So yesterday was my 6 month follow-up for my sugar diabetes. Did my blood work last week and mentally reviewed my diet and exercise regimen over the past 6 months. Let's see, cheeseburgers, hoagies, beef, pasta, artisan breads, occasional ice cream, cake and pie. Pretty much my only exercise was shoveling snow this winter. Drinking, you bet, scotch, wine beer and close to Aqua Velva a couple of times.
So I'm expecting to get an "F" for this marking period.
Doc comes in, sits down and opens his computer and says, " Liver and kidney functions normal, cholesterol looks good and the A1C is 6.0. I'm thinking about taking you off the diabetes medication. Continue with what your doing as it seems to be working."
I say, "Aye, aye captain."
Then the talk got serious. I told him that Barbara, my wife, has been busting my balls about a prostate exam because my friend Brad just found out he has prostate cancer. Very early stage so he's going to be fine.
The docs thinks this is a fine idea too.
So, I drop trou and bend over the table. The doctor puts on the gloves and then places a box of tissues on the table next to me. Being curious I asked him just how deep he thought he needed to go if I'm going to be crying. He thought that was a good one and now I'm sweating bullets and cussing my wife. He explained that the tissues were for me to "clean up" the lubricant when he was done. Kind of like the guys at Jiffy Lube when they wipe their hands and then whistle while looking at your undercarriage.
I purposely didn't eat before my appointment figuring I'd give him a clear shot at the target. Bull's eye on the first try. Good news is that my prostate is fine; the bad news is he didn't even offer to buy me dinner. I spent the rest of the afternoon walking around with well lubed squishy cheeks.
So we agreed to a next visit just before Christmas. I'll bring cookies this time since now I feel like we're almost dating

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Yup the ole DPE! Not pleasant, I always thought the PSA blood test was supposed to detect it earlier than the physical exam, wonder about the Dr.s :?:

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
John:
The rectal probe is one of several events that make post forty life suck the high hard one. I can live with failing eyesight and aching joints but the annual bend over routine is still the ultimate indignity.
On the other hand, the PSA test just isn't accurate enough and the one finger wave is still the simplest and and most accurate way to detect the ultimate man-killer. (My doc tells me that if cancer and heart disease didn't level the playing field, prostate cancer would claim most of us guys.)
So, on that note, grab the tissues, bake the cookies, a chin kiss is more than appropriate and do know there's a lot of us out there in the same boat.
BTW, I got the Diabetes diagnosis five years ago and dropped fifty pounds in four months. The upshot is that I never had to take any Diabetes medication and I was also able to discontinue meds for cholesterol and high blood pressure.
Lord knows I'll never be the poster boy for middle aged health but I do hit the gym three to four times a week and I watch my diet more than I'd like. But, I still have two Bourbons a day, smoke my pipe whenever the mood strikes, eat French Fries once a week, have a couple of bites of dessert rather than consume a full portion and eat a boatload of salads.
It's all a trade off, friend. However, if eating one less cheeseburger or smoking a few less bowls of tobacco buys me extra time in a nursing home - parked in a wheelchair and drooling into a bath towel tied around my neck - well, hell, I'll pass and thank you very much.
Cheers to you for doing so well, pally.
Fnord

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Yep the PSA is rarely used by doctors today because of too many false positive readings. At 62 I'm pretty used to shedding pride for a greater purpose. Now I fully understand the expression "Poke and hope".

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
My doctor recently told me that - like the PSA - the DRE (or DPE) has low efficacy since only one small portion of the surface of the prostate can actually be examined. I an 47 and have not had one yet, but I have no family history of prostate cancer.
One other thing he said was very interesting. He said often times surgical intervention for prostate cancer leaves the patient worse off that simply leaving the cancer alone. And this was the interesting thing: he said that "generally speaking, every man will die with prostate cancer, but very few will die from prostate cancer.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
One more interesting thing I learned from my doctor is that an extensive study has just been published and maintains that for people over 50 the new normal blood pressure is 140/90. He's not buying it entirely but there you go.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I have been getting the exam like clockwork for the last 4 years. I know what visit to expect it on next year do I'm thinking about handing my doc a pair of shoulder length deer gutting gloves. He's got a great sense of humor and it should give him a good chuckle. Then again....he might just pull one one and tell me to hold on tight!

Status
Not open for further replies.