PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I used a block of maple for this first effort. I don't have a lathe. All I have is a drill press, belt sander, some hand files, a rasp, and a coping saw. I messed up the rim because despite my best efforts at trying to hold the block steady in my drill press, the block moved.

I drilled the air hole to far so because I'm the only person who will ever smoke this, I rubbed some wood filler into it as I do with all my MM cobs. It's never affected the smoke or the taste. The second block of maple I drilled both the chamber and the airhole drilled just fine by mocking up a clamping system to get my small vise clamped onto the drill press. Worked fine for this purpose.

So I moved the block over to my small hobby vise and finished drilling the chamber and airhole freehand.

Sanded it by hand using 220 grit progressing up to 1000 grit. Finished it by hitting it with white diamond, green diamond and finally carnabua wax.

The finish is a powder stain called Virgin mixed with some denatured alcohol.

Anyway I will try a few more maple blocks before moving to one of the 4 briar ebauchons I have.

Not the best job but every journey starts with the first step.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
Don't worry, you'll be surprised how quickly you'll improve your ability.

Keep on the good work!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Nothin' wrong with that pipe at all, especially for a first go at it. Hey, if the FDA has their way, we'll all be carving (and growing) our own before long, so you're getting good practice in!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
DooD! Fantastic! Don't forget a very important element to completion. What is this of which you speak, white man?

Nomenclature. Brand it!!

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
Nice looking pipe. Make sure you let us know how it smokes.
If you want to give briar a go JH Lowe run by Tim West has all sorts of sizes of block and more stems then you knew existed. Tim will also predrill the block if you want. http://www.jhlowe.com/briar.htm
I made my first and only this way see here
I am starting to get the itch to do another one.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks folks for all the kind words.

fmgee, that's a beautiful pipe, congrats!

I just smoked a bowl of FMOTB in it. It smoked great. I got a whiff of maple about half way down the bowl but that will hopefully change as the cake builds. It did not get hot; just gently warm.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
That's a lovely pipe! Would go well with the Old Joe Krantz / Brown Twist Sliced mixture I smoke often, as it benefits from a wide bowl... try that one if you get a chance.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Chris:
First time out of the chute and you did this? It has form and balance. And it smokes well.
In a few years you'll cringe at your first effort. But, I wouldn't. You did a wonderful job!
Well done!
Fnord

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thank you all for the encouragement and kind words.

The pipe makers forum looks like the place for sure.
DM, I've never tried Brown twist but I did try black twist. The fact that I'm still alive to make such a statement only means that before I heaved and passed out I managed to dump the bowl outside in the snow where hopefully it died. So far I have seen no evidence of a strange plant growing in the front garden so I think I'm safe.

I still am trying to decide on a lathe. I keep dithering on size and type.

I did however contact Trent Rudat and spoke with him at length. What an awesome gentleman! I am going to order a 2-jaw chuck from him once I decide on a lathe.

fnord, thanks for the incentive to muddle on. I know exactly what you mean. After my first book was finally picked up by a publisher after many, many synopsis submissions and a file folder full of reject letters, my manuscript was finally published. Now however when I go back to that first book, I GAKKK! and hope no one remembers. Anyway time will tell and I will keep posting pics of my efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.