PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Here is revision one of my first ever chunk of briar.

It's supposed to be a billiard. I redid the shape. I think I might turn a shorter stem and sand it back down and make the stain darker, but I used supplies I had in stock at the time.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I am really glad you got such a nice piece of wood to show the results of your efforts.

That pipe has really been transformed since you first showed us in the beginning.

Ladies and gentlemen, this member has only been smoking a pipe himself for just about one year and has produced this fine smoking instrument on his first attempt with briar!

Chris, where is the nomenclature?

The long tapered look has been becoming the 'in' shape lately with all the talk of Bing Crosby's pipes.

Nice work there brother!

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks all for the kind words.

Thanks Mike. Being color blind makes it tough judging the staining.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
Well done.

Good finish. I like the shaping and the proportions.

This pipe shows you have a good eye.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I happen to know that this pipe was made from block, not a kit.

This is perhaps too nice for a first pipe.

You set the bar right up there, Chris. (first time that it registered that you are colorblind. I'm sure you must have mentioned it before.) The color is nice, imho.

I don't think I could suggest a change from here, and refinement will result as a matter of course. Mighty fine already!

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
That is one beautiful pipe Chris. I wouldn't change a thing in it.

It has a nice streamline silhouette.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thank you for all the comments.

Mike, browns, greens, and reds are really problematic. The base I used was dark mahogany and the top color is red. I only used two coats of each. Before buffing it looks monochromatic. The darker portions of the base appear black and the lighter top appears gray. I generally have to ask my wife what the color is and my jars of stain are labelled with sharpie on a piece of masking tape. When I was doing mapping and field exploration back in the day before computers I had to wrap the colored pencils with a chunk of masking tape and write the color on the tape.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thank you all for your kind words.

I have one last comment. I smoked a bowl of Maltese Falcon in it today. It smoked dry, clean and cool right to the bottom.

Thank you all again.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I could contemplate the grain on this magnificent pipe for hours... makes it organic and ALIVE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.