My Uncle Got A Second Pipe!

(7 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by undecagon
  • Latest reply from delkhouri
  1. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Took my Uncle to Iwan Ries last week. He used to smoke nails for as long as I had known him, and then quit about 5 years ago. About two years ago he picked up a pipe, and has smoked Maple blends (he was in Arizona, and I believe picked his stuff up from Tinder Box) since. Well, he just moved in with my parents, so when they came down to Chicago (Supposed to be my Mom and her Cousin, spending the day drinking at my apartment...turned into the two of them, my Uncle, My cousin, and her 6 y.o. daughter! Plans obviously had to change) I met up with them, sent the group to Millennium Park, and took my Uncle to Iwan Ries. He looks to me for tobacco suggestions, but isn't willing to step outside of Aros yet, which makes it really hard for me to suggest since I don't smoke many aromatics. But I went with Peterson's Nutty Cut (I remembered a few suggesting it recently here) and it was a success. I also convinced him to pick up an estate he was eyeballing ($60 I believe). Unfortunately, I don't recognize the maker's stamp, and neither did the guys in the shop that day. I thought I'd had a better picture, but this is what I have ATM, if no one can figure out what it is, I'll get some better ones later. So - who makes this pipe, and go for gold, any idea when?

But with that, my Uncle who had previously smoked one Maple Blend he didn't know the name of, and owned one pipe, NOW uses cleaners more frequently, Has Stuliff's Maple Street, Roma Vita, and Peterson's Nutty Cut on rotation, and two pipes to switch between. If I got him there in a month, I expect he'll be collecting and cellaring pretty soon!

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    AJHvibes.com
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If he needs a rotation, Iwan Ries has fine house pipes made by Benton and Savenelli (I believe) at rock bottom prices.
    They have nice billiards, Canadians, Dublins, Oom Pauls, in quality briar, Algerian on the Bentons I believe.
    Iwan Ries is a great place, long history, and good to deal with.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. delkhouri

delkhouri

Login to Send PM

George Jensen. I don't know anything about them though. I just looked it up.

http://pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-g2.html

"I believe that many who find that 'nothing happens' when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand"
    ~ C.S. Lewis
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Iwan Ries is a great place, long history, and good to deal with.

Indeed, I go there often. And I have one of their basket pipes, which is actually one of my favorites that I reach for often.

I just recently was able to convince him that owning more than one pipe was even a thing, let alone a worthwhile thing. I'll pick him up a few once the school year starts and I have some extra $$, but I'm just not able to do so ATM. That being said, I'm a musician in the middle of a graduate program, and he's a retired University teacher and Veteran....so he should just buy himself every pipe I damn well tell him to and be happy about it!

George Jensen

Thanks Delkhouri!

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

It's been a long time since I entered Iwan Ries, but I still have fond memories of my visits. A national treasure IMO.

Georg Jensen (no e in George) pipes are usually well made, entry to mid-grade pipes, made in Denmark and while hard to find "new" in the USA, are still available at shops such as Al Pascia. "Per Georg" works with Mac Baren as a "Professor of Tobacco."

Here's some info on Georg Jensen posted by hfearly in a thread here 8 months ago:

Per Georg Jensen managed the Georg Jensen Pipe brand during 23 years and is currently (2011) activ as "Tobacco Professor" at Mac Baren Tobacco Company. (http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-g2.html)

The Georg Jensen pipe factory was founded by Per Georg Jensen and his wife in 1954, in Kopenhagen, Denmark. Since the 80s the company is under the management of his daughter Lis, and his son with the same name of Per Georg Jensen. The company has 10 employees and manufactures around 2,000 factory pipes per year. Among the top of the line pipes are hand carved special editions and free hands.

The price range appears to be around 50-150$.

Top of the Line models of Georg Jensen have vulcanite or ebonite stems, factory pipes usually have acrylic stems.

Factory pipes (in increasing quality) are marked:

Danish Sand
    Achat / Amber
    Red Flame / Red Skin
    Sunrise / Orange extra / Starline
    Contrast / Bicolour / Harmon
    Excellent / Masterpiece

Pipes in the 50-120$ price range are commonly marked with:
    MODEL + MODEL NUMBER + "Made in Denmark", GJ stamp in red on the stem.

Special edition pipes are commonly marked with:
    MODEL + MODEL NUMBER + "Handmade in Denmark" + GJ stamp in white on the stem.

Top of the line pipes are commonly marked with:
    MODEL NUMBER + "Georg Jensen" in italic or fancy font.

The extremely rare and collectible freehands are marked with:
    "Straight Grain", and a number that discerns the grading from 1 (lowest) to 13 (highest).

Due to copyright and trademark issues, Georg Jensen pipes that are exported to the US market are marked with "Jensen" instead of "Georg Jensen".

Source: Manfred Arenz

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice find Rothnh, and thanks for the info hfearly!

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. delkhouri

delkhouri

Login to Send PM

So I was looking around some sites for some estate pipes and I found this:

http://mkelaw-pipes.com/html/pipee1890.html

It is also $60 and Dave is pretty fair with his pricing so I think your uncle did pretty well.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   redglow, ben88, supdog, trubka2, jaytex969, jcdarin, winton, alaskanpiper, christineg