Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:  No tags yet. 

My Trip To Mecca

(22 posts)
  1. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So, I am on a business trip to Chicago. This, in and of itself, is probably uninteresting, except that I live in a very rural area with no real pipe carrying B&M stores around. I made the connection in my head as I was packing that the storied Iwan Ries B&M was in Chicago and I decided to raid the empty tin of Briar Fox where I squirrel away funds that I methodically embezzle from my household for pipe purchases. As I was traveling I poured over their website looking for a pipe that matched my liking and, equally important, matched the amount of money I had embezzled. I have been on an Italian rusticated or sandblasted pipe kick of late, due in part to the chunky beauty of the designs and in part due to the fact that I may occasionally smoke my flake hot and I have been liking the practicality of the roughed up finishes in keeping the pipe cool in my hand.

I saw a beautiful Radice pipe on their website and it matched my current tastes: a Rind, it was rusticated, a billiard, but pretty unique in shape and style. Alas, it was significantly more than I had squirreled away and I decided to just go to the shop and look around. When I finished my business here, a friend and I decided to go down and take a look at the shop. When we got there the first pipe I saw was that lovely Rind looking right back at me, so I asked to see it. What the heck, I thought, I'll ask to look at it. When the exceptionally pleasant salesman showed it to me (and I mean that - really nice folks there) I looked at the price and I'll be damned if it wasn't on sale for less than they had on the web site. Not only that, but the sale price was exactly - and I mean exactly, the amount I had embezzled through a small cash back here, keeping the change from there, a small travel reimbursement from work elsewhere.

I had to pay for the tax and, of course, a tin of baccy with a credit card, but I can rationalize that with the explanation that I had to buy something from the oldest family owned tobacco shop in the United States. Even my Wife would get that. And voila, my newest pipe!

Can't wait to smoke it!

". . . I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul."
    - INVICTUS
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very cool pipe, tell us how it smokes.
    ~Ron

Ron
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Double Post, Sorry.
    ~Ron

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. rickpal14

rickpal14

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great looking pipe! I try to get there every time I am in town myself. I agree with you though , you cannot walk out empty handed!!! Let us know how she smokes!

Proud Member of the BlackBlood Society...........
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice pipe, sounds like it was a fun experience. You have to see the sights when on a business trip, in my opinion...

Matt.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. ejames

ejames

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cool looking pipe!

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

That is a damn fine looker.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes. That's a trip to the mother church of pipe smoking, or one of them. And what a beautiful pipe it is.
    Many years of happiness and contentment, with memories of your trip to Iwan Ries. They are one of my
    favorite sources of pipes. I have bought a number of pipes from them, including three of their house pipes.
    I grew up bordering the corporate city limits of Chicago, so it is also home ground to me. For folks who
    don't have a stash of cash, but find themselves in Chicago, I highly recommend a Iwan Reis house pipe,
    which are Bentons, made in Texas I believe, from good Algerian briar, and priced at $34 for a compact
    Group 3, to $52 for Group 4's. They're good, light, durable, well made pipes. But the Radice is a prize.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I like that pipe, it's gorgeous! Good catch dread and happy puffing with it!

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. lincolnsbark

lincolnsbark

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great looking pipe and great story! So far I have only bought my pipes online being that there are so many more options online and good deals from time to time. That being said I went to a B+M the other day and I really liked being able to inspect the pipe on my own. I really need to finally get over my hump and get to a pipe show for the same type of experience.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. saint007

saint007

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like it! Which blend are you going with for the maiden smoke?

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It'll be a VA or VAPER, I am not sure beyond that.

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. fadingdaylight

fadingdaylight

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beautiful. I have been eyeballing Radice's myself for a while now, great looking pipes.

- Jason
    "Lost in thought and lost in time... While the seeds of life and the seeds of change were planted... Outside the rain fell dark and slow... While I pondered on this dangerous but irresistible pastime..."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  14. layinpipe

layinpipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dread, beautiful briar brother, love the shape and flow of the pipe. Should be a great smoker, congrats.

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beautiful pipe!

Michael
    Posted 5 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Very cool. That is exactly why I love to travel. I've logged 28 hotel nights so far for 2014.

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. sailorjeremy

sailorjeremy

Login to Send PM

Very nice pipe. I've been looking at a some Radices the past week. I think in going to get one

~ Jeremy "Doc"

"This is not recreation, this is therapy. This is essential... I consider the tobacco I put in my pipe all the grief and suffering. And I will burn it.”- US Navy Chaplain (RET) A.P. Sholtes
    Posted 5 years ago #
  18. 4nogginsmike

4nogginsmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Although much easier to do in the realm of cigars, one can break the bank with pipes and tobacco; you just keep on shopping! Still, careful acquisivity is a delight, and I'm glad that you could indulge at this hallowed B&M.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's kind of a game I play to keep my PAD in check and make me study the pipes I like and want. It works well as I get enough money soon enough to make a purchase, but it takes long enough to make me really think about what I want. Tobacco purchases are budgeted into the household budget - she gets why cellaring is so important as the risk of legislative impingement on our hobby looms large.

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is very nice. Hope it smokes well for you!

Jason
    Posted 5 years ago #
  21. lochinvar

lochinvar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice pipe, and a great trip too. I always get excited when I'm heading up to Boston (or anywhere within 200 miles) because I know a Peretti trip...or two or three will take place.

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

You did the right thing! That's an excellent choice. Radice is among the finest.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   catyrpelius, redone, alexnc, jiminks