PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
So, I am on a business trip to Chicago. This, in and of itself, is probably uninteresting, except that I live in a very rural area with no real pipe carrying B&M stores around. I made the connection in my head as I was packing that the storied Iwan Ries B&M was in Chicago and I decided to raid the empty tin of Briar Fox where I squirrel away funds that I methodically embezzle from my household for pipe purchases. As I was traveling I poured over their website looking for a pipe that matched my liking and, equally important, matched the amount of money I had embezzled. I have been on an Italian rusticated or sandblasted pipe kick of late, due in part to the chunky beauty of the designs and in part due to the fact that I may occasionally smoke my flake hot and I have been liking the practicality of the roughed up finishes in keeping the pipe cool in my hand.
I saw a beautiful Radice pipe on their website and it matched my current tastes: a Rind, it was rusticated, a billiard, but pretty unique in shape and style. Alas, it was significantly more than I had squirreled away and I decided to just go to the shop and look around. When I finished my business here, a friend and I decided to go down and take a look at the shop. When we got there the first pipe I saw was that lovely Rind looking right back at me, so I asked to see it. What the heck, I thought, I'll ask to look at it. When the exceptionally pleasant salesman showed it to me (and I mean that - really nice folks there) I looked at the price and I'll be damned if it wasn't on sale for less than they had on the web site. Not only that, but the sale price was exactly - and I mean exactly, the amount I had embezzled through a small cash back here, keeping the change from there, a small travel reimbursement from work elsewhere.
I had to pay for the tax and, of course, a tin of baccy with a credit card, but I can rationalize that with the explanation that I had to buy something from the oldest family owned tobacco shop in the United States. Even my Wife would get that. And voila, my newest pipe!
imagejpg1.jpg

Can't wait to smoke it!

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Great looking pipe! I try to get there every time I am in town myself. I agree with you though , you cannot walk out empty handed!!! Let us know how she smokes!

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Nice pipe, sounds like it was a fun experience. You have to see the sights when on a business trip, in my opinion...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes. That's a trip to the mother church of pipe smoking, or one of them. And what a beautiful pipe it is.

Many years of happiness and contentment, with memories of your trip to Iwan Ries. They are one of my

favorite sources of pipes. I have bought a number of pipes from them, including three of their house pipes.

I grew up bordering the corporate city limits of Chicago, so it is also home ground to me. For folks who

don't have a stash of cash, but find themselves in Chicago, I highly recommend a Iwan Reis house pipe,

which are Bentons, made in Texas I believe, from good Algerian briar, and priced at $34 for a compact

Group 3, to $52 for Group 4's. They're good, light, durable, well made pipes. But the Radice is a prize.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
Great looking pipe and great story! So far I have only bought my pipes online being that there are so many more options online and good deals from time to time. That being said I went to a B+M the other day and I really liked being able to inspect the pipe on my own. I really need to finally get over my hump and get to a pipe show for the same type of experience.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Dread, beautiful briar brother, love the shape and flow of the pipe. Should be a great smoker, congrats.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Although much easier to do in the realm of cigars, one can break the bank with pipes and tobacco; you just keep on shopping! Still, careful acquisivity is a delight, and I'm glad that you could indulge at this hallowed B&M.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
It's kind of a game I play to keep my PAD in check and make me study the pipes I like and want. It works well as I get enough money soon enough to make a purchase, but it takes long enough to make me really think about what I want. Tobacco purchases are budgeted into the household budget - she gets why cellaring is so important as the risk of legislative impingement on our hobby looms large.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Nice pipe, and a great trip too. I always get excited when I'm heading up to Boston (or anywhere within 200 miles) because I know a Peretti trip...or two or three will take place.

Status
Not open for further replies.