PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I was sitting on the couch just kinda tapping an un-loaded pipe with my finger. I noticed that a flick with the fingernail made more of a lighter "tink" kinda sound. Then I tapped another pipe and it made more of a deep "thud" kinda sound. Then of coarse my OCD kicked in and I tapped many other pipes (all unloaded). I noticed that all my best smokers made the "tink" sound, and the not that great ones made the "thud". Totally not scientific, but got me thinking is there something to this? Could it be like squeezing fruit? It would make picking pipes out simpler, if your at a place where you could do this. Sounds crazy, but I bet many of you will be tapping your pipes now!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Keep tapping the briars until your have a complete musical scale. Then . . . take the act to Vegas! You might even get a slot on "The Late Show" or some such. Anyone remember the "manualist" on Johnny Carson?

Aug 1, 2012
I 'tink' this is a bit strange. My musician's ears can't hear a difference in my pipes other that that dictated by the finish (yes I just flicked all my pipes, thanks for that).

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Normal people's fingers create neither tink nor thud sounds. Time to change your drinking habits.

HUH!!
The tink/thud was referring to the sound the empty bowl made, not the sound my finger made. And with that I think I will have another scotch!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe I'm taking this too seriously, but it makes some sense to me. I won't go as far as to try to describe or

calibrate what different sounds mean, but that briars with different characteristics make different sounds

seems a certainty. People may remember the olden days when you when to a doctor and he actually touched

you, and often thumped your chest. (Now it's all blood work.) A great deal could be determined from this

medical thumping. Likewise, with musical instruments, boat hulls, furniture, and other items, the sound they

make when struck is a valuable piece of data. Because hands, fingernails, etc., are slightly different, each

person may have to learn their own scale of sounds, but it is bound to be useful.

I think I know what you mean. I have these antique pipes that I got from the local Briary that he picked up in an estate that were warehoused pipes from the turn of the century. They all are so old that the briar has dried to almost a ceramic like feel to them, and have a "tink" to them, like they might shatter like glass if thrown to the floor. They smoke amazingly well. My only problem with this is that I also have a few pipes that are thicker and softer in thump that also smoke very well. But, the "tink" aspect may cover at least one characteristic a good smoker can have.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I went through about 10 pipes before my finger started hurting, but I have to say, they all sounded the same. Thwack! No tink, or thud, and all my pipes smoke good for me, or I get rid of them. So I guess the key sound here is Thwack, which is totally non-scientific too... :mrgreen:

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
That is a very interesting observation. As I accumulate more pipes I'll have to try the finger test out.
Kind of reminds me of the scene from the classic "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" where Tuco is in the gun shop listening to the noise that the cylinders made.
Tuco at the Gun Shop

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
For a year or more I only bought old estate pipes. When I started buying new comparably shaped pipes I was a little surprised at the heft and density of them. It would be interesting to know from an expert what changes briar undergoes after 30, 60 or eighty years.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
In the summertime I tap on watermelons in the grocery store. I don't know what to listen for, and I wouldn't

know how to interpret it if I did; but everybody thinks I possess some special knowledge because I'm clenching a pipe.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I started down a row of my pipes, when I heard one of them say: "OK, guys, now he's giving us the finger." I quit right away, and resumed drinking my Scotch.

Status
Not open for further replies.