Jul 11, 2014
Florida
In no particular order:

1. Nightcap

2. Escudo

3. ERR Match

4. Rattray's Marlin Flake

5. C&D Autumn Evening

I bought bulk forms of Nightcap, ErrM, & Autumn Eve..these latter two I stretch by 'blending' with any of several codger blends I keep around. CH,PA,SWR,MidTown Copies, and PS702.

I also dabble with cutting up cigars and using that along with AE and maybe a dab of Lat blend.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Do yourself a huge favor and try some ERR Match. I haven't tried the Lane match yet, but I've read that it's not as good from a well respected reviewer.

If you enjoy a tasty burley blend, that stuff works every time.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've only tried two on your list, Nightcap and Autumn Evening. I got some NIghtcap over a year ago, but found it just too strong in the nic department for me. Last fall I was all into Autumn Evening, as well as H&H Vermont Meat Candy. But I grew weary of the maple flavoring, and haven't smoked either in over 6 months. I'll probably come back to them when cool weather comes back. For the last few months I've been all about the Latakia blends, especially the flakes. I find my tastes change over the years, but I always seem to have some form of Latakia blend in my current rotation.

I've got to try some Escudo though, but I'm leery of the Marlin Flake because of the pineapple topping.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Orley, I agree that a steady diet of one flavoring can/could become 'less welcome', but as I mentioned, when I use it (Autumn Evening) as an additive to mixes I make, the flavor is muted by the other tobaccos I might choose, and it's not so apt to wear itself out, it seems to me.

Escudo too, as a steady diet will lose luster.

I'm not sure about Nic hits...some days I seem to be more sensitive than others. One of my best mixes was 50% cigar leaf, and I'd bet that was a big nic hit, but it seemed quite tolerable, smoked 'properly'.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
That's a nice even spread Mike ... all bases covered, so to speak. :)
Congrats on your first year with the pipe and here's to many more! :puffy:

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
That list looks familiar. Swap Old Joe Krantz for ERR match and that would be my top 5 as well. Have not tried ERR Match, but based of your tastes, I think I need to give it a try.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Good to have a top five narrowed down. It takes some doing, you got to try a few out to get there. Even though my list differs, your's is as good as any, for sure. Those of us without the desire/means to buy $1,000 pipes, can enjoy the best tobacco blends out there, as your list shows/proves. The fact that my "cellar" is stocked with such fine blends makes me joyous. Crack on Brother.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Congrats on your first year with the pipe and here's to many more! [:puffy:]
I should also add that the guys and gals on this forum have been great company and more during this first year.

I've sampled way many more blends than I could have by myself, thanks to a few fine folks here, as well as having learned a lot about the process, history, and intricacies of pipes and tobacco.

Thanks to all you folks who share your enjoyment, and experiences, your generosity, humor, and positive attitudes.

Here's to a long lasting love of life to us all!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
lordofthepipering, yes. The taste is delicious! ERR Match refers to Edgeworth ready rubbed tobacco. I cannot think of another tobacco with the same acronym. Erinmore, Ennerdale, Esoterica, enough.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good selection. I've only tried two or three of your picks, but they all sound good.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I've got to try some Escudo though, but I'm leery of the Marlin Flake because of the pineapple topping.
There is no pineapple topping on Marlin Flake. There is no topping on it at all from what I can tell. Perhaps you are thinking of Erinmore. Though I am not sure it actually has a pineapple flavour in Erinmore but it does have a pic of a pineapple on the tin.
I highly recommend Marlin though if you like Virginia. It is great stuff.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I think Erinmore and Newminster 400 have similar tin note and taste profile, and that I detect a delightful (to me) pineapple. The Erinmore is presented the same as Orlick Golden Sliced, while the Newminster is about a 3 x 5 flake with a bit more thickness.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Ok, sorry all, I was wrong about the Marlin Flake having a pineapple topping. I had read a review about another tobacco, and got it confused with Marlin Flake. Now I can't remember what the tobacco was that I read that about... don't think it was Erinmore though.
newbroom, I agree about mixing kind of heavily flavored tobaccos with some other non aro or mild aro to mellow them out, I've done it with 1Q quite a bit, but not with something with a heavy topping. Gonna have to give it a spin though, as it sounds like a way to enjoy the flavor with out getting overwhelmed by it.
EDIT: Ok I found it, it was Rattray's Malcolm Flake!

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I just finished putting a post in the "What are you smoking" thread about just having tried Match ERR, my late father's favorite blend. VERY close to the original; I used to sneak some when I was out of my current smoke. Not that it is my favorite but remarkably close to the mark. The only one I have not tried is Rattray's Marlin Flake. The others are, IMHO, classics.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have smoked 1,2 and 4 on your list and currently only smoke Escudo. I would smoke Marlin Flake if I could smoke red virginia's as I loved the flavor of it. When I smoked English blends I did enjoy Nightcap. Since you enjoy Nightcap, if you want another English blend with some Perique, give Two Friends Deacons Downfall a shot, that used to be one of my favorite English blends.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
jackswilling:
It takes some doing, you got to try a few out to get there.

That made me stop and think about how many I did sample this year, and I've been too stupid to keep a written record. I think the number of blends I've tried must be at least 40. Only about 5,960 to go.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
Only about 5,960 to go.

Keep trucking, newbroom!
I very recently started a notebook with what I have stashed, what I would like to stash, and blends to try. The 'to try' list grew like a grass fire and looked pretty intimidating. Then I happily remembered I don't have to try them all RIGHT NOW and am going to throttle back for a bit.
Edit : my old record was a box full of empty tins.

Status
Not open for further replies.