PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2014
I've had this problem for a while, but now I'm out of solutions. I'll buy some tobacco that is absolutely delicious...for the first couple of weeks, at best. Then, the flavor starts to fade. By week three, I might still be able to enjoy it, but barely. By week four, it's just not worth smoking to me. It becomes so bland compared to how it initially was.
I originally stored my tobaccos in a dark, cool cupboard in mason jars (tight, but not sealed with a canning device). This problem occurred, so I made use of a wine fridge I had laying around. At about 68 degrees F, this has delayed the flavor shift, but it has not solved it. I'm still storing the tobacco in hand tightened mason jars and the moisture levels are just fine. The fridge has never smelled of tobacco, so I believe the jars are tight enough.
At this rate, for every ounce I buy, I'm lucky if I smoke half. I can't afford to keep doing this. Am I doing something wrong? Is the few bowls a week that I smoke just too slow? Could my pipes have anything to do with it? I have this issue in all of my pipes, regardless of make, age, or frequency of use.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Are you smoking aros? Because that sounds like an aromatic problem. Some blends really hold their flavor and deliver a punch like the tin note, others don't even when fresh. You may need to try something else outside of what you normally try and smoke.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Your experience is simply baffling. I've had 2 oz. tins I've left in the tin for a month, and have never had that problem. Not even close.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Your experience is simply baffling. I've had 2 oz. tins I've left in the tin for a month, and have never had that problem. Not even close.
Ditto. Sounds like palate fatigue to me.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Maybe try keeping smaller amounts in the jars and don't be opening and closing them everytime you need a bowl. So keep a small amount in another jar you're going to smoke or even a ziplock etc..

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
If you just smoke a few bowls/week, then maybe you should just buy a tin or two at a time?
Don't know what Lat blends you are smoking, but try some Dunhill Nightcap, that thing will NEVER taste bland :) A tin should get you covered for a week or two, then open a new or different one. Ten Russians, Red Rapparee, Quiet Nights, Squadron Leader, Commonwealth are all good alternatives to Nightcap, good for rotation, all come in tins.

Mar 31, 2014
Maybe I'm just losing my taste bus for tobacco. Everything else tastes fine to me.
Phonomet: I've had this issue with Billy Budd, Sutliff Balkan Luxury 957, Balkan Sasieni, White Knight, and Black House. Maybe my tongue needs a break from the latakia or something?
Nightcap is a tobacco that has never been my cup of tea (on that note, thanks to those who have recommended Yorkshire on various threads). It's alright, but not robust enough for me, in spite of its many fans. I appreciate all of the suggestions, though, ruscho. I'll have to give some of those a try. :)
I'm not sure if I can lay off of the latakia, though. Maybe I should just smoke it straight :puffy:

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
Clay,
I started as a Latakiaphile, I had about half a dozen blends in my rotation. I smoked about 2-3 bowls a day, usually changing blends but sometimes smoking the same a couple of days straight. In less than a month I got the same dull taste in all my blends. I switched to stronger baccys, and found myself loving burley more then latakia. Ive not noticed the diminishment, and can taste the difference between my Burley rotation, even after upping my bowls per day. I havent gone back to Latakia, so I dont know if things have changed, but seems to me this is something between your taste buds and the latakia, not the baccy itself.

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
If you find Sutliff Balkan Luxury 957, Balkan Sasieni, Black House etc. more robust Latakia blends than Nightcap, then, yes, the problem is with your tongue :) What you have listed are blends with Latakia in them, not Latakia blends. You should really try some of the Hermit's "Captain Earle's" offerings (blended by C&D).
Either way, it's not going to solve your problem. I still say, forget the bulk and buy tins, grab some Grousemoor/Ennerdale as a palate cleanser, lol.

Mar 31, 2014
I typed in Carter Hall and I got this douche. Are you sure he can help?

But yes, it seems like throwing in some burleys could do the trick. Thanks all!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
It is very possible you are losing your taste for Latakia, it happened to me. Also what is your daily pipe cleaning process? How often are you doing deep cleanings with Everclear and shank brushes. You also should grab a tin of Escudo and if you can, smoke it in a pipe that is not ghosted with Latakia and if you do not have one of those, then clean a pipe and do a salt treatment on it.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Keep different styles in small mason jars and rotate (pipes and tobacco). Smoke a VA or a burley or Lakeland and when you come back to the latakia you will taste it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.