PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevuke79

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2016
I read tons b4 i jarred my tobacco... now i read more and im second guessing my method, lol.
I just did this a few days ago.
I boiled the water in a pot.

Turned off the flame.

Put OPEN mason jars in the pot and let it sit for 10-15 minutes... (i made sure it didn't pick up too much moisture)
I actually turned the flame back on slightly for under a minute towards the end to keep it warm... i dont think i 'cooked' the tobacco though..
I then took out the jars and put on the lids and screwed them tight.
I then poured boiling water over the tops for a few seconds to melt the wax seal of the cover and seal it.
And that's what i did...

Am i sure i did it right? NOPE!!

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Just put the tobacco in the jars, no need to heat the glass. Fill the jars up to about a cm to the rim, it will be fine.
Me too, asked alot here and read tons. But its easy really :)

But from now on Im going to use mylar bags to save some space

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
As long as you didn't get water inside the jars, you'll probably be fine. Heating and boiling were not really necessary, but I suppose you know that already. It's tobacco, not tomatoes. Good seal, I bet, though.... :puffy:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Heating like that isn't going to to squat. If anything, the increased humidity and temperature could trigger mold growth. If it makes you feel good about it, though......

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I don't use heat, either, but I do pack as tightly as possible to the top. There's still plenty of air left if in fact it's required to assist the aging.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
John, I have to question that air is needed in the jar for the aging process. After all, the tobacco has been sitting out in the air already when it was cured, processed and manufactured.

stevuke79

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2016
Phew! Good to know it'll be fine :)
Next time ill just heat the jars... and perhaps leave a bit more room for air.
(I literally jarred a BUTTLOAD of tobacco... i kept trying new flavors... but I only smoke like 2-4 bowls a week, lol)

stevuke79

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2016
Yaddy... i aspire to your level of confidence! Ill get there..
(But when i did it like u just said... it kept needing to be retightened... which worried me...)

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
Yaddy: MY tobacco jarring method:
Put tobacco in jar.

Put lid on jar.
Am I sure I did it right?

YUP.

I'm with Yaddy, to the letter.

But mine has only been tested over years, not decades. But I am not worried either way.

Tobacco is not like green beans or tomatoes, it lights much easier...

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Just make sure the rim and lid are tobacco free as that can interfere with the seal.
Like the others I just load it and close it. No heat needed.
Next bulk order I'm going to pack it with a caulk gun like I learned from woodsroad.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
@Yaddy - That's my highly technical method also.
@stevuke79 - I'll agree w/ others that you don't need heat. You're not trying for a vacuum seal - many brands are not originally packaged w/ a vacuum seal. Whatever you choose to do, I'm sure you'll be fine

Yeh, just putting the tobacco in the jar is all I do as well. It is surprising how fast the magic tobacco aging bugs eat up all of that oxygen and make a fast seal on the jars.

Jars don't have wax seals anymore, unless you are using so ancient lids from the 60's that require you to heat up paraffin and roll over the lids, but even then I would suggest getting new lids.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Kudos for going the extra mile, but in this case, I agree with all of the above. No need for all of that. Throw it in a jar and slap a lid on it. They seal themselves and will last forever. Or near enough to not worry over semantics.

Status
Not open for further replies.