My Tobacco Cellar - or - Reasons My Wife Hates Me (just a little)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolomite128

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
Clinton, MA
http://classicpipeshop.blogspot.com/2015/09/my-tobacco-cellar-whats-in-there.html
This is the link to my list of cellar dwellers on my pipe blog. Not sure if I can cut and paste the list on here and have it turn out OK.
My 5 absolute favorite tobaccos I've ever smoked in no particular order (most of which are in my cellar today):
* 1970s - Balkan Sobranie

Got lucky and nabbed a full tin listed in an auction several years ago - unreal
* John / Herb Bessai Three Generations #1004 - in same group - 4 oz tin

Only made for a short time (pre-1983) with Lane Limited - contains a large amount of Syrian Latakia
* Garfinkel's New World Aromatic

Not an aromatic but has tons of fragrant Oriental tobaccos that has a pronounced room aroma of figs and freshly baked sugar cookies with just a hint of pungency. Never had another tobacco like it.
* LJ Peretti's Tashkent

About the closest blend I have smoked to the 1970s Sobranie listed above. Rich with a touch of sweetness. Peretti blends, in general, are world class. Their English / Balkan blends amaze me. Tough to pick my favorite but this one rules the roost.
* Watch City Ahab's Comfort

A cross between Captain Earle's Ten Russians, Cornell & Diehl's Pirate Kake, Smoker's Haven Krumble Kake and Esoterica's Penzance. It's this good. The flake it comes in (more of a Krumble Kake now) rubs out very easily to as fine a cut as you're comfortable with. I chat with Ernie Q (blender Extraordinaire at Watch City) on occasion and enjoy chatting about the art of blending tobaccos. This one (and he knows it) is just an outstanding blend and my favorite of his current offerings.
Of course I have a penchant for Balkan and English blends.
After smoking a bowl of Tashkent in my Bessai Special X - love this pipe and tobacco combo. This pipe is looooong.
https://goo.gl/photos/HPtAZaZknkV4DRkLA

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Awesome collection of fine tobaccos.
I too struggle with the concept of cellaring but in the end I'll give my wife a receipt for my two years worth of baccy and compare it to her two years of cigarettes and the numbers would show that she needs to be in the dog house.

dolomite128

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
Clinton, MA
20150930_194822.jpg

These are the tins I got in that ebay auction a few years back. Was really searching for all things John Bessai and lucked into the other tins.

dolomite128

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
Clinton, MA
Thanks @hakchuma ! As you can see from the dates on my list, most of it was purchased in 2013 and I've kinda sat on it since. 2013 was a year of mega-tobacco purchasing.
I've since slowed down although I did buy a tin of McClelland Blue Balkan (which used to be Blue Mountain) and Rattray's Black Mallory while I was shopping the other day. Both excellent tobaccos for daily enjoyment.

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
EBay and Pipestud are the vintage tins marketplace and that actual physical connection to the past these blends represent is one of the most attractive aspects of the hobby. Well done dolomite128! Great finds and thanks for sharing.
Plugugly

dolomite128

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
Clinton, MA
Appreciate everyone's kind words! It's taken years to amass such a collection of tobaccos I enjoy. Lots of trial and error.
One tobacco I don't have much information on was the Iwan Ries British Flake. The tin had the black rubber stamp on the bottom reminiscent of Sobranie tins of old. Wonder if they blended tobacco for IRC back in the 60s and 70s.
Haven't smoked it or the State Express Rondels which smell like fresh baked cinnamon raisin bread in the jar!

Status
Not open for further replies.