My Tobacco Cellar-Oh How Times Flies

(54 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by zitotczito
  • Latest reply from peckinpahhombre
  1. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Having taken up the pipe in 08/2014, I cellared hard and deep and have 220 pounds in various tins, pouches, mason jars(bulk and current use) and bags. I consider my cellar complete and now only buy the occasional new blend to try.

Time flies and looking at tobaccocellar I have the following:

4% -3 years or older
    45%-2 years or older
    60%-18 months or older

Having retired in 04/2016 I am having a great time in this hobby. So much tobacco and so little time.

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

yeah, zitotczito, it seems like only yesterday when you posted that you were finishing up your cellar with some bulks.
    http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/tad-bulk-style

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. aimlesswanderer

aimlesswanderer

Login to Send PM

According to my calculator, 220lb at my consumption rate would last me roughly 166 years

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I cellared hard and deep and have 220 pounds in various tins, pouches, mason jars

OUCH. I have bruises just thinking about it. But 220 pounds and you still have some blends out there you need to try? Double ouch!

To Master Po: Is it not being able to see that makes you tire of life?
    Master Po: No! It is being able to hear!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. curl

curl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have just over 30 pounds and my wife I both agree that I've lost my mind.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Nice start!

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

220lbs at my current rate of consumption, according to my PipeTool APP is appx 10 years. I figured 500lbs would keep me in the clear. I set back $300 a month for buying online, plus I only currently smoke what I pick up at The Briary for my rotation. Sometimes, I will pop a tin from the cellar, but mostly I will just smoke what is coming in new. It will take a little mental adjustment to get me in the habit of opening tins and jars from the cellar. Running down to the Briary has been my MO for a long while.

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. mortonbriar

mortonbriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a pipe and tobacco budget of $5 a week ha, so every few months I buy a few ounces of tobacco, and maybe once a year a pipe is added, though not every year! The hardest part is watching my hard saved pennies being spent on pipe cleaners Then again, rather that than dirty smokes! I smoke a bowl a day, and believe it or not am seeing a cellar very, very slowly grow rather than shrink!

Isaac

I don't really care if the cup is half full or half empty, I just want something to sip on.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have just over 30 pounds and my wife I both agree that I've lost my mind.

Once you reach insanity, there is nothing left to lose! There are no "degrees" of insanity! You are now free and clear to buy at will and shoot for at least 50-60 pounds.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Virtually all of my stock was bought online, no real B&M's within a reasonable driving time. Cosmic, good thing I am not close to the Briary.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. atjurhs

atjurhs

Login to Send PM

My problem (other than being a newbie who as of yet only likes about 6 different blends) with each paycheck, do I buy more bourbon, tobacco or 5.56 and 9mm ? The BATF loves me

"Judas Priest, Frank, these are your basic degenerate types, I can smoke them out"
    Posted 2 years ago #
  12. jkrug

jkrug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good to hear that you have set yourself up nicely. Enjoy.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"According to my calculator, 220lb at my consumption rate would last me roughly 166 years."

Aimless, the thing you need to understand is most American pipesmokers like to hoard tobacco just for the sake of it. For goodness sake there is even the 'tobaccocellar' database where members can compare bragging rights as to who has the most baccy...all very sad really

Us Brits tend to take a more laid back approach and collect tins or pouches in a more controlled and civilized manner. Besides not spending money on tobacco we aren't likely to live long enough to smoke we don't empty the shelves of suppliers thereby preventing our fellow smokers from purchasing their preferred blends.

That's my tuppence worth for the day

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 2 years ago #
  14. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Everyone who think we are crazy for hoarding... when the day comes, when you can no longer buy any tobacco online, and we are forced to pay $80 a tin at state stores where we have to register our insurance acct numbers to go in... we'll see who is laughing. Just saying...

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Us Brits tend to take a more laid back approach and collect tins or pouches in a more controlled and civilized manner.

Jay!! I am shocked. Shocked, I tell you, shocked! That would be "We Brits....."

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  16. rhoadsie

R

Login to Send PM

the thing you need to understand is most American pipesmokers like to hoard tobacco

Perhaps the basis for our American affliction is rooted in our infancy with the Tea Act and Boston Tea Party.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Everyone who think we are crazy for hoarding.."

Michael, there is a distinct difference twixt stocking up a sensible amount and buying up several times one's bodyweight of each blend.

I fear the day that internet tobacco sales are banned just as much as the next man but I also take into consideration that it will not affect me and me alone, therefore I am quite happy that others are able to buy what they want too.

Here in the UK we don't have suppliers running out as you do in the US and the reasons for that are obvious...think about that next time you order 50 tins (or whatever your supplier has in stock) of Everlasting Flake!

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Did someone ring me?

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You must have felt the disturbance in the Force.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You have a horrible disease... but you have tons of tobacco so it's all good

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 2 years ago #
  21. aimlesswanderer

aimlesswanderer

Login to Send PM

Everyone who think we are crazy for hoarding... when the day comes, when you can no longer buy any tobacco online, and we are forced to pay $80 a tin at state stores where we have to register our insurance acct numbers to go in... we'll see who is laughing. Just saying...

When the day comes, I'll find another pastime. Laugh all you like, it's really not important enough for me to worry about. Just saying....

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just for what it's worth, I often get requests via PM asking me to post a variety of UK blends to forum members in the US. These I generally politely decline for several personal reasons.

However some while ago whilst negotiating a trade for a straight swap of two specific American blends and the equivalent weight of any UK blends the other person after agreeing the deal suddenly asked me out of the blue to send him $200 worth of a particular blend not available in the US! This I thought to be staggeringly rude and out of order.

Not only happy stripping the shelves of his own country, he was trying the same here! Needless to say I took my business elsewhere.

If everyone, both sides of the pond were to take a more pragmatic and sensible approach to tobacco stocking I'm pretty sure there would be plenty enough to go around for all of us.

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. scrooge

scrooge

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I beleave someone just called us Americans an Canadians uncivilized.

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have roughly 80lbs. At my rate of smoking that should last me well into my next life.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"I beleave someone just called us Americans an Canadians uncivilized."

You could throw in uneducated too if you wanted to be picky.

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. skraps

skrapsoftobacco

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That was a little unnecessary. Can't we all just get along?

"People are not made better by a briar. An idiot before smoking a pipe is still an idiot after smoking a pipe, they're just more likely to speak less drivel with something in their mouth. For that, all society should be grateful."

- Bob Runowski
    Posted 2 years ago #
  27. pipehunter

pipehunter

Login to Send PM

Ouch.

I guess it rankles to have once invaded most of the known world and now be teetering on the edge of the second world....

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Absolutely no need to have replied like that

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"I guess it rankles to have once invaded most..."

No, what rankles is folks who are too lazy to use their native language correctly and too lazy to proof read a post afore hitting the send button

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. pipehunter

pipehunter

Login to Send PM

Well, God Save the Quean, nonetheless....

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Us Brits tend to take a more laid back approach and collect tins or pouches in a more controlled and civilized manner. Besides not spending money on tobacco we aren't likely to live long enough to smoke we don't empty the shelves of suppliers thereby preventing our fellow smokers from purchasing their preferred blends.- mawnansmiff

Sorry to burst your bubble, mawnansmiff, but some of my most prolific purchasers for many years are from England. I've shipped literally many hundreds of pounds of tobacco over there. Perhaps you should get out more and meet your fellow Brits who make pipe tobacco investment purchases that are sizable. I've found them to be true gentlemen of the hobby and I have greatly enjoyed learning about their collecting habits.

Pipestud
    Posted 2 years ago #
  32. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You could throw in uneducated too if you wanted to be picky. Regards, Jay.

And there you go again. I'll have you know that I made it through the 3rd grade, myself.

Pipestud

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like you, Jay. I always root for guys like you. You've got your ways of seeing the world, and I respect that, probably agree with you on most. And, when someone is doing something that doesn't make sense, it's easy to "sling some poop" so to speak, ha ha. But, I am sure that if we really started digging, there will be something about you that seems just as ridiculous to us.

And, to everyone else, Americans and Canadian Brothers, Isn't it nice to have our own little Cornish codger? I mean, we already live in the best part of the world, with our Grand Canyons, huge mountains, the most beautiful beaches in the world, as well as women. I think it's ok to let a few pieces of poo fly by us. It makes the zoo I mean forums much more interesting, IMO.

Hey, someone thinks I am an idiot for having spent years stockpiling tobaccos. So what? 95% of the world thinks I am stupid for even smoking a pipe. We are all codgers of some sort or another. When is someone else's opinions ever matter to us? We wear socks with sandals, smoke latakia, sling water out of our pipe stems, and leave nasty pipecleaners everywhere we go.

Lets all focus on the real enemy... those idiots who designed bras so damned difficult to get off with one hand. Am I right? Do I hear an amen?

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lets all focus on the real enemy... those idiots who designed bras so damned difficult to get off with one hand. Am I right? Do I hear an amen?

I've found that if you learn how to properly clench your pipe you'll have both hands free. Mind you, the wheels fall right off the moment you have to relight.

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 2 years ago #
  35. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"there will be something about you that seems just as ridiculous to us."

Of that I have absolutely no doubt.

Pipestud, what I was referring to is the regular tobacco stockists often running out of particular blends due to hoarding. I often see threads were folk bemoan the fact that X supplier is right out of Y blend, and all of these stockists are American. I have yet to see anyone complain on the forum that a British supplier is out of anything.

With all due respect, your business is a niche market dealing with a particular type of product...'aged tobacco' and I could well be wrong here but I don't think you sell 'current/fresh' tobacco. If you do then I apologise.

Of course a cynic might suggest that you personally gain from folks who buy vast amounts of tobacco as if/when they pop their clogs their remaining mountain of tins makes its way to your website

Anyway, as I initially stated, there is plenty of baccy to go around for everyone, or there would be if certain folks didn't clear shelves in one fell swoop.

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So, I guess you take no issue with bras? Is that what you're saying?

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So, I guess you take no issue with bras? Is that what you're saying?

Not at all. They are the invention of pure evil and should be outlawed (with certain exemptions )

Posted 2 years ago #
  38. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh, ha ha, bassbug... I knew that you had a bone in the fight. I was talking to Jay.

We all benefit from mass purchases of pipe tobacco. The person gets a cellar stockpile. The company makes some money. We all get to enjoy a company that is staying in business. If a company like Esoterica, Germains, or ol Sammy Gawith decide to limit their production, which is what they are doing intentionally, then that is their fault. But, all of the other blends pretty much play a fair game, keeping blends rolling off the production line.

Posted 2 years ago #
  39. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh, ha ha, bassbug... I knew that you had a bone in the fight.

That's getting rather personal, don't you think?

If a company like Esoterica, Germains, or ol Sammy Gawith decide to limit their production, which is what they are doing intentionally, then that is their fault.

Not only their fault, but also stupid. If I can't find a blend I'm looking for, I'll just spend my money with a different company. I may or may not come back, but I certainly won't be without any tobacco. Their loss.

Posted 2 years ago #
  40. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, we may discuss and debate differing buying, spending, storing and selling habits for the sheer pleasure of discussion, but in the very end, what you buy, how you buy it, or what you do with it afterwards, is really no one's business but your own.

Everyone has their reasons for what they do and I don't expect anyone to understand mine any more than I understand theirs, and while we may agree or disagree at various levels, when it starts getting personal, I am always reminded of the old proverb: That to not understand another's purpose does not make them confused.

Posted 2 years ago #
  41. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

but also stupid.

Actually, it increases demand, which increases the amount that they can get per tin. We are a voracious bunch, and even if everyone on the forums said that Penzance was crap, they'd sell out immediately because of the exclusivity they get by limiting their production runs.
    It's funny to see dusty tins of FVF on the shelf, and the next month guys are fighting over them at The Briary.

Sorry about mentioning your bone.

Posted 2 years ago #
  42. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 2 years ago #
  43. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Actually, it increases demand, which increases the amount that they can get per tin.

In my experience (not necessarily in the tobacco industry) this is, at best, a short term strategy that more often than not ends with decreased market share and decreased profits, which in turn lead to failure. But, its not my company.

Posted 2 years ago #
  44. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Which tobaccos have gone down in price because of limiting runs? I have opnly ever seen them go up. Esotericas, Germains, S&G... Pelican.

Posted 2 years ago #
  45. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nope...I din't say they went down in price, but I do believe they are making less money than they can and that is not healthy for any business or for that matter, their customers.

A sincere question....Why is it that we keep hearing about all the "premium" blends that have stopped production while brands like 1Q, Carter Hall and SWR keep going? there never seems to be a shortage (intentional or otherwise) of those.

Posted 2 years ago #
  46. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A sincere question....Why is it that we keep hearing about all the "premium" blends that have stopped production while brands like 1Q, Carter Hall and SWR keep going? there never seems to be a shortage (intentional or otherwise) of those.

Where have you heard that premium blends have stopped production? Dunhill is a leased name, verses liability issue. It has never limited it's production.

Posted 2 years ago #
  47. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There have been a number of posts titled something like "RIP xxx blend".

With all due respect, Dunhill, being leased or otherwise and being a "premium" blend(s) has indeed announced that production will stop. Maybe because of profitability, maybe for other reasons, but certainly the ultimate in "limiting production"

Posted 2 years ago #
  48. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I find this discussion to have gotten a little off the topic of my original post, that is aging. When I took up the pipe and started my cellar, I had the following goals in mind:

1.) Avoid price increases
    2.) Avoid tax increases
    3.) Avoid shortages
    4.) Avoid discontinued blends
    5.) Maximize blends(foreign and domestic)
    6.) Begin the aging process

Looking at my cellar, I have approx. 475 different blends and my biggest holding is 3 pounds 6 ounces of Wessex CDF. I think I have accomplished all of my goals. I can only guess what it would cost me now to replace my cellar and with the new PA Tax of 55 cents per ounce I would now have an additional cost of $1,936.00 in tax cost alone.

Hoarding was not my intent and never has been. I could have purchased more of the ET blends but did not. I knew I was retiring in 2016 and greatly limited any future expenses for tobacco cost and tax wise. Will there be blends I have that won't be my cup of tea, sure and maybe future trades will be in order. I also did not cellar with the intent to make a profit. My trades would be fair and equitable to both parties.

The point of what I did was to take the unknown of the future and turn it into a known. My opinion is that it is your sole choice to cellar or not, what I did works for me. My intent is not to cause anxiety for anyone, but facts are facts.

Posted 2 years ago #
  49. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nope, most blends that have gone out, didn't do so because they were limiting their production, but because of lack of enthusiasm by the market. Bengal Slices, the original, Skip told us he never sold a single flake of it for years. Then SToP announced they were bringing it back, then Skip finally managed to sell of his huge stockpile of the crap. He said that people just never like Three Nuns the original. Maybe people in other places did, but here, they didn't, so they went under. They brought it back, and his entire stock of the original that never sold, sold.
    There are thousands of blends, and only a small portion of pipe smokers. Some blends are just not going to make it. Having been to the perique factory, I could fit the entire world's supply of perique for one year in my garage. You could maybe fit an entire run of Escudo in an 18 wheeler, but it is sent out in much smaller boxes. It's just not a get rich market. More money is made by just the OTC cigars than the entire pipe industry.

I don't think intentionally limiting production has anything to do with it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  50. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll defer to you on this as I simply have not been in this hobby/pastime/habit long enough

There is no doubt that any niche industry is going to have relatively high prices and usually, more than its fair share of closures.

I certainly do not begrudge anyone that wants to cellar, even if they do so to levels that I find over the top.

Posted 2 years ago #
  51. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Your thoughts are intuitive, but what I have found about pipes is that everything is exactly the opposite of intuitive. And, some stuff just doesn't make any damn sense. When people bash an online retailer, their sales go up. When a CEO of a tobacco corporation comes on here and tells us all that we are stupid idiots, sales skyrocket, ha ha.
    It's a weird world.

Heck, guys buy up Esotericas, and boisterously brag about how much money they are making off of it, people line up to bash them, and we see their ebay bids light up like a Christmas tree. It's a weird weird world.

Posted 2 years ago #
  52. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just checking in. Have we solved this yet?

Posted 2 years ago #
  53. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Russians? Yes sir, they've released the squirrels.
    I had to stop posting, because when I see my picture this many times on a page, it starts to make me horny. Well... I will stop now.

Posted 2 years ago #
  54. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had to stop posting, because when I see my picture this many times on a page, it starts to make me horny. Well... I will stop now.

Understandable. I felt a tingling in my loins as well.

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cshubhra, weezell, craig61a, milehighpiper, georged, trouttimes, pepesdad1, acidpox, ssjones, sasquatch, chasingembers, olkofri