My thoughts on Dunhill Flake (My first baccy review)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
2 Fresh Former Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
First and foremost I have been primarily and English guy since my pipe smoking adventure began over a year ago. I just recently dove into VA's, VApers, and Burley blends this past holiday season.
I had ordered Dunhill Flake after I tried Orlik GS and was quite happy with it.
Now onto my thoughts...Upon opening the tin I was greeted by the gold sticker (much like OGS) and the soft smell of sweet raisins, plums, figs and a slight undertone of dried grass, ya know the brown stuff you have to rake up after a long winter :). The flakes are nice and wide with varying brown colors speckled with gold. From reading what others have said on this forum they require some drying time. I gave my flake about 35-45 mins sitting out as I enjoyed some NetFlix. I like to fold and twist my flakes apart then gently "spin" them into my pipe. I smoked out of a custom poker I got in the mail today - I love pokers especially the short stubby ones with a tall bowl. My char light was a nice dry sweet smoke. The tobacco took the flame very quickly and just needed a light tamp. I struck another match and eased the flame into the bowl. Again the taste is light and sweet, with a traditional stout VA aroma. This is my first review and I'm sure my palate can't pick out all the fine flavors some people can, but this was a damn good smoke. I know most people say "smoked to a fine ash clean and dry" and this tobacco really did. It had minimal moisture inside the chamber and burned down to a stark white ash. It was an awesome smoke and Dunhill Flake has quickly skyrocketed to my #1 spot for VAs.
I hope you enjoyed this review (it is my first). If anyone here uses instagram please give me a shout out I would love to follow more people and share my experiences with the rest of the community! (IG- delro91)
Regards,

Matt

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Nice review. I've got a handful of tins I picked up cheap due to sales when the opportunity presented itself. I've yet to smoke any yet. I've got too many open blends currently. Dunhill Flake is close to the front of the line for cracking though.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
Dunhill Flake is one of only two tobaccos I have in the cellar. It is an exquisite flake. I cube cut mine and then rub it out and it never fails to deliver a great smoke. Your poker sounds like an ideal virginia smoker. Tall bowls are great for these tobaccos!

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
I love Dunhill Flake and enjoyed reading your review. Perhaps a sacrilege but now and then I enjoy this virginia in a well-used bent I have designated for my favorite burley aromatic. The ghosting along with the fine virginia makes me very happy.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Nice review, but you'll be quite surprised how many blends 'skyrocket' to a favorite and are then quickly displaced another. The crazy quest always goes on but I've calmed down quite a bit when it comes to purchasing tobacco. All in all, DF is a good baccy and I have several tins of it. Bottom line... that right day, the right pipe and it all seems to coalesce and be Nirvana and is soon forgotten until that same perfect match of tobacco and pipe day comes again. In some crazy way it makes me envious of my grandfather and great uncle being perfectly satisfied with having smoked the same blend every day and being quite content with it. Kinda makes things and life more easy when it comes to smoking a pipe. Just a random thought on a cold and tired winter day. :wink:

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
phil67 - You hit the nail on the head with that response :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.