PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I have started taking tasting notes on my phone. I wanted to share what I have so far. Please feel free to add your thoughts or tastes you find/good pipe baccy combos. It helps me to identify what I am tasting in a blend or may jog my memory as some of these were written long after I smoked the blend. Here we go! :puffy:
Tasting Notes
MacBaren Dark Twist Roll Cake

-Buttery toast

-Easily burns the tongue, good indoor smoke

-mixed well with butternut burley 
NewMinster Ultimate English

-very smooth, tasty English

-not as sweet as Luxus

-burned well, nice ribbon cut 
NewMinster English Luxus

-smooth, sweet English

-not as spicy as ultimate

-burned well, nice ribbon cut
MacBaren Mature VA

-very complex VA

-sampled in Meer with issues

-burned tongue, could have been pipe
Altadis Fox&Hound

-Rich English, burned 

Nicely

-only one bowl but would sample more
Tinderbox Syrian

-holy crap!

-like chewing on a pine cone

-harsh and spicy at first but mellows into a smoky, piney, plum sauce
Tinder Box Mature VA

-nice grassy, very subtly sweet

-can burn the tongue but if sipped very slow can be sublime 

-incites curiosity 
MacBaren Burley London Blend

-awesome cut, chunks of rubbed flake

-very good burley

-great subtle chocolate flavor

-burns well and does great in wind if left more chunky

-develops a great richness about a third into the bowl that just keeps getting better

-Some may thinks it's boring but it had me coming back for over a month and I still can't figure out why.
Scotty's Butternut Burley

-yum!

-very tasty burley, more aromatic than London blend

-nutty, maybe a hint of liquor

-sweet

-burns very well and has no tongue burn even if smoked in a heavy wind and puffed on.

-develops very nicely down the bowl, starts off similar to an aromatic and just as I tire of that sweetness it becomes rich and nutty.

-I have mixed a lot of different tobaccos with this and have yet to find a bad combo from English to Vaper.
Sutliffe Great Outdoors

-ok stuff, kind of ashy towards the middle of the bowl.

-nothing to right home about in the taste department.

-sampled the end of a friends tin
Sutliffe Molto Dolce

-Sweeeeeet!!!!!

-good vanilla caramel taste.

-wife actually likes the room note (a first) 

-good in a cob or small bowl as it just becomes monotonous and can become unpleasant towards the end of the bowl

-very good mixed with butternut burley, rounds out the flavor and cuts the sweetness, the end of the bowl doesn't suck

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Just realized some things were spelled wrong but I can't edit that far down in the post on my phone. I'll try to edit on my computer later.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I'd like to add that Ultimate English had a good taste of the edge of a fine prime rib. :mrgreen:

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I'll be adding to this list very soon. In the mean time I thought I'd reintroduce some articles I found here. I went searching the other night for ways to develop my pallette and tasting vocabulary and stumbled onto too Pease articles right here on Pipesmagazine.com they were very informative. I will also share some other tips I found when o can get on the laptop later. Here are the articles:

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/the-fickle-nature-of-first-impressions/

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/out-of-the-ashes/dont-think-of-a-purple-giraffe/

jack87

Lurker
Jun 24, 2012
Fox and hound is my first encounter with English and it gave me my "this is what its all about" moment. I will have to start taking notes myself.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Rattray's Marlin Flake

-Oak

-very round black pepper

-faint cherry, more in the nose

-toast with a touch of sweet

-whisps of damp hay 

-after taste of whiskey

-best rubbed out or fold and stuff, cubed produced a strange fermenting fruit taste that made me nauseous

-fine out of the tin, best with 15 to 30 mins dry time

-went best in my bent LaRocca it really reacted well with the briar in this pipe

-best in a well rested pipe

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Thanks Rothnh I appreciate the feedback. I hope that my notes continue to get better as I fill out this thread and add more blends. Its odd but I think not caring about finding the "correct" name for the flavors or smells and just going with gut instinct and whatever ties may be there, however ethereal, seems to produce better tasting notes.

Thanks Schmitz for the additional articles! Both of your feedback and comments are always very helpful and enjoyable.
It dawned on me a few days ago that of course flavor is important to the pipe smoking experience, but I want to use pipe smoking to expand my understanding of flavor and smell in other aspects of my life too. I have always been intrigued by the sense of taste so I will continue to research and expand my knowledge of tasting and pallette development as much as possible. Of course I'm not trying to get too serious as mostly I puff to relax, but I also enjoy engaging my mind and discovering these deep connections to past experiences. For instance in another thread I remarked at a connection I had found while smoking SPC Plum Pudding. Some taste or smell mid bowl brought me straight back to my Dad's house on a damp fall day and I recognized the scent of our firewood that was manly comprised of Cherry which occasionally would have a fungus or lichen. It was a combination of all of these sensations that really kicked this taste quest into high gear. I couldn't shake that experience and I am so happy I have a long time to enjoy many different smoking experiences :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.