PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
Anyone have the problem of your taste for tobacco's change... on a regular basis? I am currently hooked up on Full Virginia Flakes. No Perique or Latakia or especially Burley, just straight Virginia.

That said, anyone have a Favorite Virginia? I would love to find a quality smoke without having to rub our the flakes, anyone have a bulk Virginia that is great? Thanks for reading. Looking forward to the replies.

kalvort

Might Stick Around
May 18, 2013
Yes my tastes change sometimes as well, mostly due to the weather though I believe! But I like to have a bit of everything hanging around the tobacco shelf (except for cherry aromatics...)
My recommendation is Capstan Blue ready rubbed.
Good luck and happy puffing

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
MacBaren Virginia #1 has become my go to Virginia and it comes in bulk and is broken flake. Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug is excellent but a pain to find. S&G English Summer smells good but I haven't gotten around to actually smoking it yet. :lol:

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
MacBaren Virginia #1 has become my go to Virginia and it comes in bulk and is broken flake.
Totally agree, I didn't like it the first bowlful back in February, now I can't get enough.
I too have found my tastes changing frequently. All winter I couldn't get enough latakia/oriental. All summer I've been straight va or vaper, especially flakes.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I was smoking almost nothing but aros for the first 10 months after I started, now I am smoking a lot of VaPers.

I would recommend F&T's BlackJack or Astleys 109 or 44, but you want bulk with no rub. For that, +1 on McB's VA#1 ...or McClelland's Red cake. But Red Cake has that Virginia vinegar smell that puts a lot of people off, but I don't taste it in the smoke, and if you let it dry out, the smell goes away. Also, if you get Red Cake, put some away, after a year, it's awesome! And, I hear that it keeps on getting better with more years on it. Also, McCrannie's Red Ribbon, but you'll have to go to the McCrannie's website to order it, and no bulk on that one, but it's worth the price.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
After sampling a handful of cosmicfolklore's suggestions, I can say this man knows his Virginia tobacco. I listen to his recommendations closely on this leaf. As a matter of fact, I just ordered up some Red Ribbon.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
This is to be expected, especially for new smokers who are really just learning what their tastes are. Have fun. :puffy:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
No surprise at what you are experiencing. That's what makes this hobby so much fun. Eventually you may find your preferred zone but beware; there are always blends that will call to you. Like Judd said- have fun.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
My tastes go in waves. It depends on the season I found. Year round I like my Perique. Summer months I gravitate toward Burleys. Holidays I go toward Aeros and then move to Lat blends. And through it all I still cannot stand Orientals.
+1 on the McC 5100 Red Cake especially if your can find some aged. Also McC's Christmas Cheer is a fine Virginia and you can usually find 5, 10 or even 15 year old tins online.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Tastes definitely change especially for the new smoker. In my opinion you should try cube cutting your flakes for a bit. I get a much cooler and more flavorful smoke that has a consistent burn using this method. I find that rubbing out a flake or smoking any other cut such as a ribbon, I get a hotter less flavorful smoke. It is the reason I smoke flake tobacco exclusively.
Here are a few Virginia flakes that are very tasty.
Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug( it is a flake, not a plug)

Astleys 109 and 44

Brigham Klondike Gold

Dunhill Flake

Capstan Blue Flake

Wessex Gold and Brown Virginia Flakes

Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
My tastes tend to be VAPER with a leaning towards the VA

S&G Summer is a nice light flake (fantastic finish)

Solani Silver is an amazing VA Flake

Orlik English Gold/Capstan Gold

MacBaren VA No1 nice flavor - warning can bite ya
AND HAVE FUN amazing delcious flavors out there

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
Awesome responses. Can't wait to give some of these a try. Yes, my taste moves from point a to point b on a regular basis.... but this Straight Virginia itch has to be scratched. :) Thanks to each of you and I'll continue to look for more responses. This forum is awesome for helping each other out.

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
Just ordered some McCrannie's Red Ribbon. I find it actually cool and old school that they don't take a credit or debit card. So printed out my receipt and dropping a check in the mail. Good things are meant to be waited on.
Now on to find the other tobacco's... thanks for the suggestions !!

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
Hey folks, here is an update.
CosmicFolkLore, you nailed it with the McCranie's Red Ribbon !!! It arrived today and just finished the second bowl. Absolutely superb ! Yes, I jumped back a little when I opened the can, it does have a really strong vinegar odor (prob like the Mc Red Cake) but that seems to disappear, to some degree. But when I lit it up, OH MAN, it's good. Thanks for the suggestion. I have a lot of the other recommendations coming, but haven't arrived. Updates to follow. Here is a photo of my Red Ribbon and the first bowl.

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
I got two cans for $23 plus 7.95 shipping. Should have ordered more. :)

adam12

May 16, 2011
Uhhhhh................
McCranies is the most incredible place on earth
Taj Mahal, Great Pyramids, and McCranies. A visit there will change your life

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
Looks like especially after enjoying this Red Ribbon so much, I will have to visit McCranie's in person. Trailboss, thanks for the link to Kevin's article. Looks like the kind of shop I could spend some time and some money in. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.