PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
Fantastic show this year at the NASPC Show in Dublin, OH. It was my first year attending and I set up as an exhibitor selling my cobs and clays. It's always great meeting forum members at the show as well as customers and making some new friends as well. I don't really have any local pipe clubs in my little rural corner of Virginia, so being able to sit around and share conversation and tobacco blends with fellow pipe smokers at these shows is always a real treat. Enjoyed sitting around outside and sharing conversation with Phil Morgan from MM as well as all the CPCC fellows that host the Chicago Show. Even chatted with a few fellow Virginians from the CORPS pipe club out of Richmond.
Even though I am primarily a cob and clay guy, I have to admit that I do enjoy my briars as well and I picked up a couple nice pipes at the show. Ron Smith of Ranz Freehands was set up at the table next to me and he's really a great guy and is making some beautiful briars of various styles and selling them at some phenomenal prices. I had to pick up one of his pipes and broke it in at the show and have to say it is a fantastic smoker! I also picked up a large Rossi LUCCA EX rusticated bent billiard that I've been breaking in since I got back home. It's also a nice smoking pipe! Being a cob guy, I did have to pick up one of MM's new cob cigars as well. Of course, I had to add to my TAD and picked up a few tobacco blends including a couple of my favorites: Sutliff's Edward G. Robinson and Mac BAren's HH Old Dark Fired. Also picked up a very smooth and flavorful red Virginia blend that is phenomenal! Lane Ltd was also set up next to my table but due to the new FDA deeming rules, they couldn't give out any free samples. However, they did give out coupons to purchase Captain Black blends for a $1/pouch from one of their distributors at the show and so I picked up 3 of those pouches as well. Interestingly, they debuted their latest Captain Black blend, "Captain Black Grape". Since they couldn't give out samples I didn't get a chance to try it, but it's smell reminded me of the old Bubble Yum grape bubble gum. I have heard that people who have smoked it and reviewed it online say it's surprisingly a rather pleasant and enjoyable smoke.
Anyway, a great show and my hat's off to the fine NASPC folks who put on this show every year.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I think it's probable that we met/spoke; were you the gentleman who was telling me about locating vintage clays, scanning them for 3D molds so you could get the most exact specifications to smoke a "new antique" pipe?
If so, while I didn't pick up your products, I was fascinated by your effort to reproduce them authentically. Perhaps another time when I want to branch to a clay pipe.
P.S. - Nice haul.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
hobbit,
Yes, that was me you spoke with at the show. 3D scanning and printing technology is amazing. A 21st century solution to create an historically accurate 17th century pipe!

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Nice report VAcob. The only things I brought home from the show were cans of the show blends, 2 OD laughing king cobs, and a OD venus clay. I can't stop reaching for my OD cobs. I really really like them. In fact, so much so that I ordered 4 more off your website Sunday night. I sure am glad I crossed paths with you this past weekend. It was a pleasure meeting you. Thanks for the great pipes!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Didn't get to go, family came in early for Labor Day. I miss all the good stuff. :(

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
mothernature,
Pleasure meeting you at the show and glad you are enjoying the pipes. Your other 4 pipes were shipped out today via Priority Mail so you should have them in a couple of days.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
were you the gentleman who was telling me about locating vintage clays, scanning them for 3D molds so you could get the most exact specifications to smoke a "new antique" pipe?
I knew that I heard it before. That is your stand, right sir?
https://youtu.be/LsGQiJ5GCfc?t=2m55s

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
jvnshr,
Yes, that was my table at the show. I thought he did a good job with the video. Only one correction. He said that he thought I had exacavated the pipe artifacts in Jamestown,PA. The artifacts have all come from archaeological digs at a colonial tobacco plantation site on our Tidewater Virginia farm.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Yes, that was my table at the show. I thought he did a good job with the video. Only one correction. He said that he thought I had exacavated the pipe artifacts in Jamestown,PA. The artifacts have all come from archaeological digs at a colonial tobacco plantation site on our Tidewater Virginia farm.
That 3D idea is a very creative thing, sir. The cobs are amazing as well.
No one has ever asked me if I was "the gentleman" about anything.
Are you the gentleman owning a Ryan Alden pipe? :)

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Your other 4 pipes were shipped out today via Priority Mail so you should have them in a couple of days.
Thanks VAcob! I received them yesterday and am enjoying a bowl of Capstan Flake Blue in one right now. Truly delightful.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Wonderful report. I think it's unlikely I'll ever make it from Miami to one of the pipe shows, but it sounds like a swell time.
One thing though: grape flavored tobacco? I honestly threw up in my mouth a little. Still, I suppose, chacun a son gout.

Status
Not open for further replies.