PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
A guy on this forum recently posted he had to give up smoking, and in the spirit of piping, just show up and the tobacco is free. Pipes will be $10-25. I was the only one to show up.
This guy (I don't even know his name), just gave me his entire cellar and all his pipes. All jarred and hand-labeled. We're talking maybe 60-70 POUNDS of tobacco and dozens of pipes. My favorite is the Nording Horn. I wish I had pics, but I'll post them when I can get some. You can imagine I'm freaking out. Also, I'm sick and can't work right now so am totally broke; that is why he gave me all his pipes.
It is not supposed to go down like this, with him being forced to quit. But thank you thank you thank you. Crunch the numbers on what this all cost him, he basically just gave me a car. Unreal. I hope you get better buddy.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I love a Man like that, not trying to wring the last nickel, and to a deserving person, you started my Sunday off with a warm feeling, hope he does good in his issues whatever they are and I"ve been following your posts quite a while you in IMHO are a very deserving person.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
That's pretty amazing. That is something you will remember forever. What a generous man. I pray for good things for him and his family.
I'd be interested to know what blends you got!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'll echo Brad and Cortez's remarks. This is a nice way to start a day. And as rsuninv said, when you have the opportunity and means to help another piper remember this day. Good luck to you and happy smoke rings.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
That is indeed an incredible story that has made my Sunday a warmer and better place - I shall light a candle for this nameless gentleman's recovery when I attend evening services later in the day.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
It would be a tragic day to have to give up the pipe. More tragic still is the untold story of why, as any man who lived with the fondness of piping in such a way that he amssaed a great collection of pipes and pounds and pounds of tobacco would not abandon his passion so easily. I certainly feel for him and wish him the best.
His kindness has not gone unrewarded. The very fact he lives his life in a way that considers others as he considers himself is evidence of a quality of life only few experience.
Such great men are eternally honored.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I am in awe of the entire story--in awe, but not particularly surprised, since we have all learned at some point or another, what sort of people pipe smokers are. Given the fact that our activity is in and of itself a relaxing and contemplative one, it shouldn't surprise us too greatly when we discover that someone who has engaged in a gentler, more contemplative hobby is that sort of person. At least, that's what we want to be. And I must add my own belief that pipe smoking does in fact contribute to that mindset. So the man gave his entire collection to someone who he knew would enjoy it thoroughly. Sounds like a man in love with pipe smoking, And wanted to make sure that his hobby went to someone who loved it as much as he. Sounds like your typical pipe smoker to me.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
There is a person on here that is getting a CARE package. He doesn't post much anymore so I hope he doesn't read this. It's not supposed to go down like this. But thank you dude.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great story and it sounds like his generosity went to the right guy. His karma will be good for years to come. Pipe people are some of the most generous and caring people on the planet.

dietl

Lurker
Apr 3, 2014
Very nice. Pipe smoking is almost a lost art. Anyone who does is a kindred spirit in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.