Status
Not open for further replies.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Hi,

So all is in the title.

I had a crack in the stem on my mini peterson.

Photo%2002-04-15%2015%2033%2057.jpg

So, living in China, there is not a lot of pipe repair shops, in addition, people told me that it would cost as much to buy a new one, so I decided to give it a go myself.

I wanted to find a interesting way.
So I filled the crack with wood glue, polished the bit of stem, and circled it with rope.

Then I used Wood varnish to paint the rope.
Here is the result. It's not so great but it's interesting.
Photo%2014-04-15%2023%2001%2003.jpg

Photo%2014-04-15%2023%2001%2019.jpg

About the colour, I thought, in that odd brain of mine, hey, peterson is Irish, let's go for green, it'll make up for the St Patrick's day series I missed. :D
Photo%2015-04-15%2013%2056%2035.jpg

Photo%2015-04-15%2013%2055%2050.jpg

What do you think ?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I think it's a great start, and will allow you to smoke it w/o further damage if you're lucky.

I think it's great that you tried to fix your pipe creatively.

I think it looks awful.

That crack is really long on the shank, I see. The pipe, w/o a cracked shank would probably be a treasured smoker.

I love its design, its grain, color, and really like the stem! I think you should employ the mail and find a repair guy and meanwhile smoke another pipe. I don't think it should cost you more than $20.00 to have repaired.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If it smokes good and you like it that's all that matters. With how long the crack looks I don't think it would be worth getting a pro repair

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I've always like the look of those petersons, but I'm a cutty fan. I like what you've done, adds a personal touch to it and I hope it stands up to many more years of smoking for you.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
That blows. Such a shame to see a sweet pipe crack like that. Hope the repair allows you to get some more use out of it. I liked the repair au naturel.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Very resourceful. I have the rusticated version of that little pipe which I greatly enjoy, but I have worried about its fragility. I don't consider it a pocket pipe for that reason. I have several stocky little bent billiards and pots about the same size but of more durable build. But the Belgique (the little Peterson) is a great short smoke, sampler pipe, or with flake it can burn for quite a while. Go ahead and smoke it and see what happens. It could go on for the duration. Or eventually you could do a more complete repair or entrust it to a professional repair person. I predict it will go on forever with its nautical wrap. Ship ahoy!

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Thanks all the comments and suggestions. I hope indeed that it will last a little more. The picture can be misleading, the crack is 5-7 mm long. It's entirely covered by the rope. Maybe I should have avoided the green but it's too late now, though I guess I could remove it all and start over, though it might fragilise the pipe, so I'll leave it be.
Cheerio :) :puffpipe:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Function is foremost, imo. How else to explain the popularity of cobs?

Many happy bowls from your homemade repair! It has character!

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
If it smokes the way you want it to, I think it's great. You could be proud to whip that thing out and smoke it in my home anytime. I think it's awesome. Nice job man.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
If you get tired of the rope you can cut down the shank and reseat the stem. Nice belgique. I have one too. What's pipe smoking in China like?

Status
Not open for further replies.