PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have never done a review on the forum before, but I have been really impressed with this tobacco. Several pioes have offered their lives to help me try this, and I have been getting a host of different impressions of it. So here it is:
First smoke was in a Stanwell Bamboo, that I typically smoke Cairo in: first light was initially spicy, then the bready red Virginia taste dominated to the end of the bowl. I merely folded the flakes lengthwise and inserted them into the chamber. Was reminiscent of McClelland 5100.
The second smoke was in my Rattray's craggy root bent pot with a 9mm filter: I got the same spiciness as the first time, and the bread taste was more pronounce. Otherwise, the experience was very similar to the first bowl.
Third bowl was in my Neerup Basic bent brandy, using the fold and twist method I heard Brian Levine describe on the podcast from Halloween. The Neerup is a VaPer dedicated pipe: this time, I got a pronounced spiciness and raisin aroma, bready at first and then citrus notes appeared midway through the bowl. The spiciness and citrus alternated and mixed with the bread taste, much more complex a smoke in my opinion. I could still detect the red Virginias throughout the smoke, but the citrus and spice would alternate and meld with the bread taste all the way through to the end. The retro hale was an awesome red Virginia and Perique raisin note that was just scrumptious.
The fourth rendition was in a Ligne Bretagne that had only been smoked once before, with HH Acadian Perique. Here I had a repeat of the first experience. The red Virginia dominated, with a slight spiciness.
The fifth smoke (now) is in a Paykoc meer bent calabash. The citrus notes seemed to come out more, and the spiciness is persistent with the red Virginia coming out now that I am halfway through.

So, in conclusion, I am finding Sixpence to be quite an adventure. This is a wonderful tobacco, and I look forward to tasting some with some age on it. If you like red Virginias and VaPers, this is a winner!

Reactions: Black Crow

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
rig', you're describing some truly interesting complexity, the way a good blend of Virginias with Perique can be.

I've found that Va/Per blends often improve having been open a few days, and of course they improve with aging

because of the Virginias mostly, I think. I like the McC. 5100 comparison, since most of us know that one. How

does it compare to any other widely know Va/Pers you've tried? You make it sound mighty good; you've sold a

few tins here. I'll definitely add it to my list.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'm thinking even one year of age will improve this tremendously. In the meantime, enjoying the hell out of it.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Rig, thank you for the review. I have smoked a bowl of Six Pence and find it to be just a wonderful VaPer. But, your review hit it right out of the park. I wondered what the taste was and you nailed it with the bready and citrus notes!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Thanks for the comments, my friends. I am smoking some now, in a Lepeltier clay pipe. I still get the citrus and bread notes, the spiciness lasted to the halfway point. The retro hale is the ticket on this, just awesome. I have to confess that I find it to be unlike the other VaPers I have tried. Totally different from HH Acadian Perique, Rolando's Own, and Anniversary Cake, which are my favorite VaPer blends. Another favorite is Peter Heinrich's Special Curly, which is similar in the citrusy notes but without the bread taste. This is not a Perique powerhouse.

Got to hand it to Mr. Pease: he did not set out to duplicate something else, and succeeded in creating another unique, interesting blend. Next stop: corn cob!

sean81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
Great reveiw of SixPence. I do however, feel "None the Richer" having read it...HA!
But, really...good reveiw!

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for the review rig - excellent! I was just about to push the button on this with 4Noggins and was called away; when I came back they'd run out! Aaarrrggghhh! I'm now REALLY looking forward to trying Sixpence....
Andy

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I did not detect a topping in Sixpence. Seems to me it would not ghost a pipe, but I haven't smoked anything else in the afore mentioned pipes as of yet. BTW, it does have a significant nicotine hit, at least on me. I did not care for it in my corncob, btw, seemed muted and somewhat tasteless. My conclusion is that it is best in a meerschaum or dedicated VaPer pipe. it did not wow me on the first bowl, but the more I smoked it, the more complexity I was able to coax from it.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Further to my earlier post, I received some Sixpence yesterday from my Secret Santa. I smoke mainly Va's and VaPers, so the first bowl was in a Northern Briars dublin that has had nothing else but those blends in it. TBH, initially I was underwhelmed. As with Haddo's Delight, the topping dominated the tin note on opening and most of the bowl. The main tobacco taste was the Kentucky/Burley, rather than the Virginia or Perique. However, I know that the elements within a tin can settle unevenly in storage and transit, so I gave the tin a shake and left it overnight with just the plastic cap as cover. The bowl this morning was much more balanced, with less flavouring and more natural sweetness and a few cameos from the Perique. Very happy - this goes striaght into the rotation.
Andy

Dec 24, 2012
Just smoking my first bowl of Sixpence. I like it. Great flavours are coming through. There is a fair nic hit though, but that doesn't trouble me. The fact that I noticed though when I usually don't tells me that those brothers who are sensitive to Lady N should tread with caution.

Status
Not open for further replies.