PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
And the time has come to sample the coveted Semois tobacco, introduced just this month to the U.S. market by The Pipe Guys. Good people worked hard to bring this from Belgium to us, so I'd better get to it.
I decided to devote one unsmoked pipe to this tobacco because I have an unused pipe on hand, but changed my mind when I realized its bowl is on the large side. Like a Group 4. (It's a Big Ben Presidential Select 188 with a sandblast finish.) Having read this tobacco is a strong one, reminiscent of a full-bodied cigar, I want a small bowl that'll allow me to focus on discerning the flavors.
semois-pipe1.jpg

Luckily I have this very lightly smoked Savinelli 202 churchwarden. Perfect.
In reading up on Semois, I learned it is a tobacco that is dry, and sure enough what's inside this package is dry. Not dried out, as in not at all humidified, but dry as in a deliberate style. Not unlike a Dutch cigar. As you can see from the packaging, it does not come in any kind of hermetically sealed tin or pouch; it is simply wrapped in a heavy foil paper. No need for airtight integrity, although I will store it inside a mason jar out of habit.
The color of the tobacco is a light to medium brown. "Claro" in cigar parlance. This brick of Semois is cut into ribbon. That and its inherent dryness means it burns quickly. My first bowl went in the few minutes it took to write this. There is no chasing the ember here; it burns hastily, especially if puffed heavily. By opting for the slightly unwieldy churchwarden shape, I am making an effort to not puff absentmindedly, and to be deliberate with this.
semois-pipe2-600x450.jpg

First impression of the taste: Yes, cigar-like, but not full-bodied. For me, full-bodied cigars are of the Cuban, Honduran, and sometimes Nicaraguan varieties. That's what I go for. Rather this reminds me more of a medium-bodied Dominican cigar, like the original line of Dominican Montecristos (the yellow box) or the Pleiades of the 1990s. I would liken one of Semois’ flavors to the Cameroon tobacco of cigar wrapper leaf.
Or, frankly, a potent cigarette, like the Dunhill reds of my teen years. I dabbled only briefly; as much as I liked those cigarettes, I felt like a moron smoking cigarettes. Also, I would say the room note of Semois reminds me of those Dunhills: slightly acrid, but with a sweetness too.
Noteworthy: This is a pipe tobacco one actually could enjoy during a quick smoke break at work, or during some similarly brief opportunity.
I suppose this could be a roll-your-own cigarette tobacco, albeit a pricey one.
Semois reduces to a very fine and very dark gray ash.
In conclusion, I smoked two bowls in less than thirty minutes, taking my time. I’ll be smoking a lot more.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds tasty. I'm not sure it would compare to other good blends at somewhat lower prices, but certainly

worth a try at some point. I like Dominican cigars as well as any, but I'm not sure how that translates into

pipe tobacco. I think the smoking experiences are quite different.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
It is tasty. I realize I did not elaborate on its flavors, but that will take me some time because this is a singular tobacco. I cannot liken it to another pipe mixture at all, except there is something that reminds me of the Dunhill Elizabethan of a decade ago. That's the best I can do right now.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
La Brumeuse is medium-full rather than full-bodied, to use cigar terminology. I've been smoking Don Pepin Originals that are not just classified as full but indeed very much are, enough nicotine not only for me to notice but to be put off to some extent. In comparison La Brumeuse just smokes strong.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
It sure looks a lot like all the brown French pipe tobacco that is common over there. Your description makes me think it is in a similar vein of flavor. I bought about half a pound of it while I was there in November, and gave all of it away to Cortez.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I continue to smoke and love this tobacco. Utterly uniquely flavored and strong. Some smokers say that they can take it or leave it while others such as myself say that it is stellar. Right now this would be my desert island tobacco. All those who haven't been impressed should send me, at 50 cents on the dollar, all they have:).

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Just smoked my first bowl. I found it very enjoyable. Has a distinct taste for sure, but not strong. I think it will appeal to many pipers. I smoked it in a medium sized cob and it smoked to a fine ash in 15 minutes. Fortunately, there are a lot of bowls to go in the rather large package.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I continue to advocate all-out for this singular tobacco. There's nothing else out there, except Tambolaka, that comes to the smoker in such natural, unchanged form; and by comparison La Brumeuse blows Tambo out of the water.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I've found that in a large, tall bowl semois really comes into its own. The cigar-like notes diminish and a completely unique character emerges. If you find it not to your liking give it a spin in a deep, firmly packed pipe. IME this lets the leaf really shine.
Ren

Status
Not open for further replies.