New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I said I wasn't going to make any more, but as I find work orders piling up on my workbench, I thought that I would "go fishing," so to speak. This one was my second pipe. I'm just making something interesting to smoke about town and to show off at my pipe club meetings :wink:
hawk-pipe1.jpg

The stummel was a $5 ebay score, but everything else is of my own hand. I did sand the stummel down and re-stain it to get the look I was going for with this one.
I was originally going to make a more elaborate Inuit style carving in the silver band with abstract lines suggesting nostrils in the beak and detailing the beak. But, as I got to looking at the balance of the grain on the stummel and the grain of the Cumberland stem, I thought that I would leave it simple, with just the eyes and shape of the silverwork to suggest a bird. And, yes, I am a bit bulldog crazy right now. I was really wanting a slightly bent bulldog with one of those Dunhill or Comoy style stems, but I wanted a bit of my own flair. The "Great Bird" can soar over my bowl as I smoke, evoking thoughts of the "Great Spirit." I've already dedicated this one to spicy Balkans, as I just can't wait to photograph them before I fire it up. I would make a lousy pipemaker. I'd have to pre-smoke all of them, ha ha.

hawk-pipe2.jpg

garnet-pipe1.jpg

This stummel was from a box of 1905-20 stummels made in France that I picked up from a friend who owns a local pipe shop. I just rusticated it, stained it, and made the bone stem, and of course the silverwork. This one has a garnet added to the band to bring out more of those maroons in the stain around the bowl. The overlay is of the Navajo style, with layers of carved silver soldered to make a 2D pattern in 3D. In my paintings and jewelry designs I like to incorporate these abstract shapes that can lead the viewer to see either monsters or flowers, teeth, petals, patterns, just relax and let your imagination be the guide.

garnet-pipe2.jpg

I am dedicating this one to straight Virginias as I write this, mmmmm... McClalland's Red Cake to build a black cake.

I really like the bone as a stem material. It's not as hard on my teeth as acrylic, but so far I think that the biggest drawback is that it will eventually wear away as my teeth grip it. But, I can always make another one. It's not actually bone, but some moose antler (or rack) that I picked up on a trip to Alaska, years ago. I had been meaning to try to make jewelry out of it, but I just never found an appropriate design for it. I may make a few more stems for myself with it. The grain is very cool, but it smells like burning flash when you cut it, blah!
Anyways, as I make these and explore how these amazing utensils work, I am even further in awe of the real artisan pipemakers out there, and once again my hats off to them. I was just showing off my attempted handiwork. Maybe sometime I will post some of my grip designs for pistols and the eyeframes that I have designed. Eh, it gives me something to do when I want to kill time before starting the next wedding ring or necklace order. I hope this provides some interesting eye candy. At least no one will mistake one of my pipes for theirs, ha ha.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Love the design elegance displayed in all three of your pieces. Each is unique, clean design, with distinction. If you ever decide to start commissions, you will have another revenue stream.

Thank you gentlemen.

Rolldog, I have several band repairs on the bench now, where I'll be adding simple smooth silver bands to some cracked shanks. I am always open to make a band a little more interesting. If anyone had a specific idea in mind of something interesting, I'd be willing to sketch it and send a quote. I seem to be repairing everything from eyewear, to silver pitchers, and broken stone settings in wedding rings. I even hammered out a dent in a ancient wedding tiara a few months ago. LOL, I rarely turn down the opportunity to make or repair something interesting :D

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I like the bulldog with the cumberland stem. Always nice to see your silver work.

Thank you again gentlemen.

Papipeguy - The disks are partially inlaid, but in my earlier experiments with making them flush, I found that I couldn't buff the silver without buffing the stem material. So, leaving them partially raised makes removing tarnish and cleaning the silver easier, without damaging the stems. But, that was something I had to think about.
Alan - :::blush::: too kind! Ha ha, but I also feel like I was caught playing hooky from my resizing all of those rings piled up. :::sigh::: I've been playing catch-up all morning trying to get all of them done. If you ever get bored at the bench, I'd encourage you to play around also. Ha ha, just don't get too far behind. When I show these off (and my eyeframe work) I tend to get even more interesting things brought in to work on. Other jewelry stores that I "bench" for are more willing to take in obscure work for me when they see these things. :wink:
Thanks again, it makes this place more like a really cool and "really large" pipe club to get your feedback.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Dressing up those pipes is a brilliant crossover application of your professional skills -- and they really shine! :clap:

Thanks for the pix, and for presenting some innovative ideas.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Beautiful work as always. I'm about ready to snap off a tenon just so I can have you band it. Your sense of style and artistry clicks with me. Keep those pictures coming!

Oh no, Settersbrace, I can band an unbroken pipe. Ha ha, no need to break it. Actually with an unbroken pipe, I can better set the band flush to better integrate the band with the rest of the pipe. And as they say, an once of prevention is much better looking than a pound of cure :wink:

Thanks again, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.