PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
When I started pipe smoking (only a few months ago) I bought any tobacco that sounded good. Just an ounce of all kinds of things, mostly aros. I couldn't even count all the little baggy's I had. I have finally started to slow down a bit, hone in on what I like, and have begun figuring out what tobacco I like best with what pipe. My enjoyment smoking has went up tremendously. For now there are 3 that I'm pretty set on. Solani Aged Burley flakes, G.L. Pease Haddo's Delight and Dunhill Nightcap. All with their respective pipe that for whatever reason seems to just dance together. It's pretty cool when you find a tobacco that you anticipate and know it's going to be a great evening enjoying that bowl.
Thank you guys for all the help and hints getting this far, the hunt continues.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I have been smoking for almost two years and I still feel that I am too young to start a rotation. For sure there are blends that I won't get tired of, but I want to try more and more.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
I just meant I've found 3 solid tobaccos I like not that I have reached the zenith of tobacco experimenting and will never try another

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
It sounds like you are an adept 'student' of the leaf and bowl.

You seem to have honed in on a nice selection of some distinctive and delicious tobacco.

If you have learned all this in 3 months, you are a natural.

I'm betting that VA's will get some love eventually.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I just meant I've found 3 solid tobaccos I like not that I have reached the zenith of tobacco experimenting and will never try another
I totally understood what you said. I just wanted to say that I haven't bought any tobacco again that I've tried and liked, instead I buy something new. I love Dunhill's EMP and RY, PS LTF and LBF, Brebbia Balkan, Solani 633, Robert McConnell's Scottish Cake, Erinmore Flake and I can smoke these all day long. However I haven't cellared any of them yet, maybe I will find something better in the exact same genre.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Yeah there's still a ton to try, and I may feel totally different in another 3 months, ha

youdancer

Lurker
Sep 19, 2016
I have been smoking for almost two years and I still feel that I am too young to start a rotation. For sure there are blends that I won't get tired of, but I want to try more and more.
Coming up on 3 years and I feel exactly the same way

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
So I'm just curious, you mean you guys don't have at least one blend that you restock, or always make sure you have around?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I see you like Aged Burley Flake. Check out Watch City Cigars blend Watch City Slices. Very good stuff. As for rotation, I just pick whatever I'm in the mood to smoke, no rhyme or reason. Around 50 blends in a 200+ pound cellar just to grab whatever floats my boat at the moment. You have embarked on a journey of many discoveries, so enjoy the ride! :puffy:

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
Thanks to this site the selection of tobaccos to try seem endless. Someone comes up with a new blend I want to try almost daily. I too like variety and much like Duane I choose a tobacco based on what might taste good at that time. Enjoy your journey. I know that I’m having a wonderful time trying different tobaccos. The more you try the more you might like.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Some of us restock a bunch of blends, but still try others. Restocking 1-20 blends is my guess at the range. Some have many dozen other blends they're trying out on top of that.

exterminatewho

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2017
I'm at the point where I'm buying everything. So far there has only been one I didn't really like. Gawith and Hoggarth Rich Dark Honeydew. Thing was way too floral tasting for me. It was sweet, but like a thick herby type of sweet. I just couldn't smoke it. I probably smoked half a bowl and haven't touched it since. If anyone wants an ounce I'm willing to do a trade, whatever you don't want, as long as it's not an aromatic.
But so far there are 5 that I smoke regularly. PS LBF, Frog Morton, Prince Albert, Half & Half, and Dunhill EMP. I'm sure I'll eventually find a rotation, but for right now I'm happy just trying everything I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.