PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtgallet

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
Thanks to smokingpipes.com this canuck got a sweet new pipe and some tobacco for i'd say around 1/3rd the price i'd pay here! what do you guys think of this haul?

And of course me enjoying this bad boy! (yes it's cold in canada!)

By the way, i broke it in with some mclelland deep hallow... Not a fan so far, very light and one dimensional. I expected more

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
Great looking pipe! Hope it brings you many good smokes :) And enjoy the Frog Morton, it's one of my favorites. I've yet to try Escudo, might have to put it on my next TAD list!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Good haul, Mtgallet!
I love any kind of billiard and you also picked up a pair of classic smokes.
Enjoy.
Fnord

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
Enjoy the Escudo...once you try it, there's no turning back...you'll turn into a VaPer guy soon enough.
Shutterbug

mtgallet

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
Thanks guys! The pipe smoked very well! Much less hot than my more expensive chacom, but with more gurgle. I think I prefer a straight pipe now that I have had the pleasure to smoke both straight and bent. The mclelland deep hallow on the other hand was disappointing. Very simple, at one point presented a pleasant citrus profile, but it was short lived and overtaken by bland tobacco.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Don't give up on the tobacco, kiddo. Jar it up for three to six months and let it simmer it for awhile. It might surprise you.
Fnord

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"The pipe smoked very well! Much less hot than my more expensive chacom, but with more gurgle."
In my experience, the heat of the bowl and gurgling is less about the pipe and more about the piper. Check your pack and slow your pace.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Nice pipe. I think Rossi's are now made by Savinelli? I hope it smokes like a champ for you.
And two great tobacco blends. Well done.

uncleboo

Lurker
Nov 17, 2013
Rossi's are made by Savinelli. I have one of the Palermo bent billiards and I think it smokes great.(in my limited opinion) You made a good choice!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Looks like some holiday contentment to me. That's a nice little briar, compact and good design. Good

old Savenelli will never let you down.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
BTW, mrlowercase posted over on the pipe tobacco discussion page a bit of history of Cope Bros tobacco (lots of pics of old ads and tins). Escudo was their brand long ago and there are some nice pics of old tins and ads for Escudo. Since you just picked up some Escudo, you might be interested to take a look.

mtgallet

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
I love the pipe! As someone stated, it may be me that is to blame for the gurgle and hot smoke. I try to avoid smoking to fast but I also try to avoid having to relight so you can imagine how that becomes conflicting. I do believe savinelli makes Rossi as someone stated earlier.

This pipe hobby really sinks deep! My Rossi just arrived and I am pretty damn sure I'm gonna be ordering another shortly. I am really digging the Peterson Aran 87 smooth straight apple. It's a beauty! Being Italian (Italian Canadian) I want a savinelli also i tell myself the Rossi is pretty much a savinelli, but i think I'm just trying to convince myself since I like the way that particular Peterson looks. Who knows, maybe once I purchase the Peterson a savinelli will somehow end up in my collection.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Congratulations on your new pipe. I hope you enjoy it for many years.
Regarding buying a Peterson pipe, ask the representative to inspect the pipe for proper drilling. Also ask they review the finish and have them describe the pipe to you. Other members have had some quality issues on Peterson pipes discussed in other postings. It is nice to learn from the experiences of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.