PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Well, the way I look at it, if I live the rest of my life in a plastic bubble eating granola and vegetable smoothies from now on, I've got twenty to twenty-five years left. If I keep smoking my pipe and drinking whiskey I figure I've got at least thirty. Not a hard decision.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
You actually start dying the moment you're born.
I hate hearing people say this. It's totally absurd. You're telling me that as I physically grow, and emotionally and spiritually evolve, I'm actually losing my "life-force"? When a tree is a seed, and that seed sprouts, and that sprout eventually produces leaves, and that little thing grows and grows and grows, and reaches for the heavens, is it "dying" the whole time it's growing? I don't think so.
To add a philosophical/physics-based element to all that, one could say that life is energy, and energy is neither created nor destroyed, so in theory, death is just a fallacy.
But still, even without all that, assuming we're all just physical entities, physical entities don't start "dying" until the parts and pieces needed to support the rest of the body start to fail.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
If someone I don't know has the sand to comment on what I may or may not be doing, well, I won't say what my rebuttal would entail but you can bet it wouldn't be pretty.

homeguard95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
My grandaddy always said " If I'm going to die I'm going to die happy." And if that's with a pipe in my mouth well so be it.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
You actually start dying the moment you're born.
I hate hearing people say this.
It's certainly true in the sense that as soon as you begin you are heading towards a fixed end point. What the often quoted saying is lacking is a description of the process of birth, growth, decline and death. It's just that if you say, "You actually begin the trek towards death the moment you are born" it loses some pithiness in exchange for accuracy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All things in moderation; use your time well; enjoy the time you are given.

spud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 10, 2013
Death is a part of life. It is the end of physical life.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Like I tell people.. If you belive the Surgeon General's Report from 1964 stating that cigarette smoking is bad for your health then you also have to believe the same report when it says American Pipe smokers have the same health risks as non smokers and English pipe smokers actually live longer than non smokers.
I'm the first one to admit that the 1964 report is a pretty pathetic attempt(using poor data) to justify the dangers of smoking but if you agree with its findings that cigarettes are dangerous for you then you have to agree with their findings that pipe smoking is good for you.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
I always am using that line "Living is hazardous to your health" but I add "If you're really worried, go hide under the bed, but then the radon will get you." :D

riffraff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
South Carolina
Death is a part of life. It is the end of physical life
"Luminous beings are we. Not this crude matter!" - Yoda
“PIPPIN: I didn't think it would end this way.
GANDALF: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it.
PIPPIN: What? Gandalf? See what?
GANDALF: White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.
PIPPIN: Well, that isn't so bad." - The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
"When I die I will recieve full consiousness. So I got that going for me" Carl from Caddyshack

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
I agree with 4dotsasinei, I had a triple spinal fusion three years ago and diagnosed with MS, three bowls per day will not kill me!

Status
Not open for further replies.