PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrumphicus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2011
The Water
A brief introduction on myself:

Name's Joel, 22 years old, currently an E-4 in the United States Navy. Had my first pipe on my 18th birthday with my Grandpa. Had a few throw-away pipes over the years, mostly corn cobs, currently smoking a 5 dollar basket pipe that I bought a couple years ago in Florida. It doesn't smoke the greatest, and everything I smoke out of it tastes like the first bit of whatever aromatic it was that I bought with it. Which brings me to my new purchases!
Pipes:

A good looking churchwarden (no brand) that's half sand-blasted, and half lightly stained briar.

Peterson Aran - a good looking curvy little guy with a nickel mount.
Tobaccos:

The "A Better One for the Road" sampler from pipesandcigars to include 2oz each of Bourbon, Amaretto, Sunset Rum, Brandy Alexander, and Buttered Rum flavored. Some Hearth and Home Marquee Sweet and Savory, and a bit of Middleton's Apple - the pouches looked familiar, so I ordered some.
Also bought the necessary tools/cleaning supplies as well as a leather 'baccy pouch. Had to make a second order because I forgot to order wind covers (it's windy on the ocean) and figured I'd go for the Peterson while I was at it. I'm just excited about my purchase and wanted to share with everyone/chat until my order comes in. Discuss!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome aboard, Joel - always good to have service folks here.
I can't comment on your purchase, since I am not much of an aromatic guy, and when I do smoke 'em, they tend to be Danish style, which are fairly lightly topped, as a rule.
But enjoy your explorations. Smoke what ya like, and like what you smoke! :puffy:

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Hullo Joel, welcome.

May yer 'baccy stay lit and yer tongue not be bit (-;
Can't comment on aeros either but the various sampler packs that can be made up from Pipes and Cigars are good deals for sure.
Post pics of those pipes when you get them.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome aboard. Thank you for your service. There are not many young people that do what you do. May you always have the wind at your back and a star to steer by.

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
Welcome, Joel!
Sounds like you're off to a good start. Myself, I smoke more aros than anything else, but I can't say I've tried the ones you've listed. Doesn't matter. Give 'em a try, smoke slow, and enjoy the experience.
Simon

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
We're glad to have you among us Joel.

And like the rest of the guys, I want thank you for your service.

We appreciate it.
I look forward to reading your posts, comments and seeing some photos.

Definitely keep us informed how you are faring.
Oh yeah on today's game.... GO NAVY!

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum - Hope your order gets too you quickly. Personally that is the one thing I hate about internet shopping! Waiting for all those new things to arrive can be a bit of a pain :)
Hope you enjoy your new phase in the wonderful world of pipe smoking.

Jul 15, 2011
Welcome, and thank you for your service to our country! Please remember to ask any all questions that you may have here. The only dumb question is one that isn't asked. As far as your order, sounds like you got a nice haul there, everything you need to get you started. That Peterson should be a nice smoker. As for the aromatics you mentioned, I can't say I have tried any of them, but I do like a good Rum flavored tobacco from time to time. I will tell you that in my experience, aromatics smoke better for me when they have been dried out a bit. They burn better, stay lit better, and don't goop up a pipe, but your mileage may vary.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Welcome to the forum, Joel.
Three pipes and a couple of tobaccos that you like is plenty. A good smoking technique is more important than a vast collection.

harrumphicus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2011
The Water
Thanks for the warm welcomes, all! Looks like my original Peterson got backordered, so I asked them to replace it with a Calibash. Not sure why I didn't go for that in the first place!
Also, the only proper way to thank a sailor for his service is to buy him a drink, but I'll make an exception this time. :wink: Thanks everyone! I look forward to many good conversations here.
Bigvan - hope you enjoyed your time in as a CTI, I would have loved to take that job.
Iowamike - I spent most of my growing-up days in Iowa, until about a month after high-school. What part are you from?

Jul 15, 2011
Also, the only proper way to thank a sailor for his service is to buy him a drink, but I'll make an exception this time.
I'd buy you a beer any day my good man. Time was I would say Id buy you a shot, but I swore off the hard stuff some time ago.

harrumphicus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2011
The Water
I need to stop clicking on ads from this site. I've put together "wish lists" totaling quite a lot over a few sites. Stumbled onto some LotR 'baccy too that I may well have to get. Too many things! Can't buy them all!

harrumphicus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2011
The Water
Got some pics of the pipes I ordered.
First up, the PipesandCigars Churchwarden

mychurchwarden.jpg

Looks good, IMHO, ought to give me a good "contemplative" smoke. Wanted a churchwarden so I could sit down and do a bit of writing/drawing if I so choose.
Peterson Calabash

myPetersonCalibash.jpg

Something shiny and smooth to show off when they "light the cigar lamp" on my ship. They occasionally open up the bridge wing for people to come have a cigar/pipe with the captain and other higher-ups. I just like to go up there with my pipe and show them they're not the only ones with respect for quality tobacco. Unfortunately they didn't get that message when I went up last time with an old cob and dry baccy =[
Wellington 3/4 bent Tulip

myWellingtonTulip.jpg

Found it when I was looking for the JFH Middle Earth pipe weed, and figured "why not"... My wallet said "why?!" but he was quickly ignored. I was looking through the "show us where you smoke" thread and thought I saw someone else with this pipe. I guess great minds think alike?
These things need a lesson from old Shadowfax on the meaning of haste.

Status
Not open for further replies.